Honored Contributor

Re: 4/21/17. " Love Is A Many Splendored Thing"

I have watched it so many times......LOVE IT!  I cry like a baby every time.

Esteemed Contributor

Another favorite!!  Love it and have seen it so many times.  The music alone gets me, but the ending always makes me cry.    William Holden - so very handsome!!

It is based on a true story.    Supposedly during the making of the movie Jennifer Jones did not like William Holden and ate garlic before any of their love scenes!

Honored Contributor

@twinsister  OMgosh, I read that during The Man in the Grey Flannel suit she was just as hateful to Gregory Peck!!! What was wrong with that woman????????

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline - At the time she was married to the head of the studio - Selznick, so she could demand and act anyway she wanted.   William Holden tried to make peace with her during filming and brought her flowers, but she threw them at him.  I hadn't heard about the Gray Flannel movie and Gregory Peck.  Wow!

Honored Contributor

@twinsister  She was also married to Robert Walker and they had a son, Michael. He has another son Robert Walker, jr. who did a few movies.They both look like him. This is Michael.

Related image

Honored Contributor

This is a great movie.  Jennifer Jones was my father's favorite actress.  William Holden was never better.

I remember playing my mother's copy of the theme song on her Hi-Fi.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline They certainly do look just like him!!

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful song,  wonderful classic movie... But that ending is such a tear jerker ....so so sad.  Love the classics !

Respected Contributor

Love is a Many Splendored Thing is a very good sexy movie.  William Holden and Jennifer Jones were both very good in it.  They are both talented actors and oscar winners and it showed.  They certainly created a lot of passion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Me, too, Sea Maiden.  I just finished watching it on my local PBS channel (just added this) and wept shamelessly.

Source of the movie's title, Francis Thompson's "The Kingdom of God."   I just looked it up.

The Kingdom of God

O WORLD invisible, we view thee, O world intangible, we touch thee, O world unknowable, we know thee, Inapprehensible, we clutch thee!

Does the fish soar to find the ocean, The eagle plunge to find the air-- That we ask of the stars in motion If they have rumor of thee there?

Not where the wheeling systems darken, And our benumbed conceiving soars!-- The drift of pinions, would we hearken, Beats at our own clay-shuttered doors.

The angels keep their ancient places-- Turn but a stone and start a wing! 'Tis ye, 'tis your estrangèd faces, That miss the many-splendored thing.

But (when so sad thou canst not sadder) Cry--and upon thy so sore loss Shall shine the traffic of Jacob's ladder Pitched betwixt Heaven and Charing Cross.

Yea, in the night, my Soul, my daughter, Cry--clinging to Heaven by the hems; And lo, Christ walking on the water, Not of Genesareth, but Thames!

Francis Thompson