Trusted Contributor

Re: 31 Days of Oscar Starts Friday 2/1 on TMC

Pearley,

We had to read Wuthering Heights in high school.  Ugh, I dragged thru the book word by word.  I remember we saw the 1970 version of the movie as a class trip.  I must have been a sophomore.

Years later, for some reason I picked it up again and just loved it.  I don't understand it either!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I can't believe I stayed up til after 1:00 a.m. watching Funny Girl again. Esp. considering how many times I've seen it before, including when it first came out in the movie theaters when I was a teenager.   I love the story, the costumes, and the music (we all had the sound track album - yes album - back in the 1960s when the film came out).  I would have stopped watching when Babs' and Omar's marriage started going down the tubes, but I stuck out the film just to hear My Man at the very end - a beautiful song sung with typical Babs emotion put into it.   I've read several bios of Babs and in one I read that that was the only song in the film that Babs sang live - the rest was recorded in a studio and lip synched by everyone who sang.   Another interesting point from one of the bios I read is that Babs made them severely cut Anne Francis' role because Babs thought Anne was way prettier than she and therefore wanted her role cut.

I wish Barbra hadn't tampered with her face as she got older. Her eyes are much tighter/narrower now than they used to be.

Honored Contributor

I was out for the early part of the evening on Friday and when I got home, I watched the rest of Prince of Tides, a film I love.  I came in during the dinner party when Nolte ends up threatening to throw Jeroen Krabbe's Stradavarius off the balcony and then watched the rest.  I always think Nolte should have won best actor Oscar that year (can't even remember whether he was nominated but I think not). His performance was excellent.

Since I was wide awake, I later started watching Bonnie & Clyde, a film I've never liked  (even when I first saw it at the theater when it came out).   As I watched the first 45 minutes of it last night, I realized why I never liked it.  And OMG - Faye Dunaway looked soooooo young!

On tomorrow night at 8:00 pm is Lassie Come Home.  I don't think I've seen that since I was a child - literally - and don't know whether I'll watch it or not.  I'm a huge dog lover and I remember being so upset while Lassie roamed around before being found.  I wonder if I'd be as upset as an adult.  Hmmmm.....I may watch it.

Honored Contributor

I made the mistake of watching the original Father of the Bride film last night on TV.  OY it was so dated!  I much prefer the Steve Martin/Diane Keaton version, even though IMO Kimberly Williams was weak in Liz Taylor's former role, and Martin Short was over-the-top.  But Steve Martin was great in it; I so preferred him to Spencer Tracy in the father role.  Tracy was just too ornery.  Steve Martin was reluctant to pay for a wedding too, but his comedy redeemed him and he didn't come across as ornery, like Tracy did.   I had to LOL too at Joan Bennett being so dressed up as a housewife. 

I was drifting off to sleep while watching it when I immediately heard the voice of Gllinda from the Wizard of Oz, and knew that Billie Burke had to be in the film.  Sure enough, as the groom's mother.  She sure has an unmistakable voice (Toto too!) 

Honored Contributor

A Streetcar Named Desire for those who want to watch it at 12:45 a.m. tonight-really-Monday