Respected Contributor

3 great shows on animal planet

I posted on the thread about Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain vet and wanted to offer 3 other good animal shows that DH and I watch regularly.

1.  Secret Life of the Zoo which takes place in Chester.

2.  The Zoo (the one in New York in the Bronx).

3.  The Aquarium located in Georgia.

All 3 of these shows are worth the watch IMO.  We both really enjoy what they do to care for all of the living creatures.  The other night, the Aquarium had to do some minor surgery on a piranha.  I love watching the sea lions; they are so intelligent.  Even showed an octopus opening a jar to get food out of it - very intelligent creatures.

Just wanted to share for any animal lovers.

Respected Contributor

Re: 3 great shows on animal planet

I like 1 and 2 very much!  Have not seen #3 I'll keep my eye out.  I do find it extremely fascinating how zoo animals really behave with their trainers and how closely they interact.  I love how they teach them all the moves they need to make to get medical checks with machines and stuff, and they reward them with food. They are so smart.

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I like 1 and 2 very much!  Have not seen #3 I'll keep my eye out.  I do find it extremely fascinating how zoo animals really behave with their trainers and how closely they interact.  I love how they teach them all the moves they need to make to get medical checks with machines and stuff, and they reward them with food. They are so smart.

@Grouchomarx, good!  I'm glad you like those shows.  What I really like is those zoos are so good to their creatures.  I remember as a young child how I hated to go to some zoos that just had them all caged up and not in their environment.  These people really bond to them and you can tell the animals bond to them as well.

I hope you will find the Aquarium show too.  My favorite is the sea lions and the beluga whales.

Honored Contributor

Love Animal Planet but there is one vet that is disturbing.  I happened to be channel surfing and a vet was going to a dairy farm to artificially inseminate the cows.  An abhorrent process...that is extremely disturbing to watch and a thousand times worse for the cow to experience.  The vet was joking and making light of it.....intolerable behavior.  Milk does not do a cow's body good,  unless it is used for the purpose it was intended for....to feed calves.  The dairy industry is cruel.

Other than this painful event, I adore Animal Planet as it usually supports wildlife and domestic animals.  Thanks for the recommendations.

Trusted Contributor

@HisElk1 - I love the Aquarium show from Atlanta, Georgia.  It is such a beautiful aquarium and the animals all seem so well cared for.  The trainers and vets seem to care so much and treat the animals lovingly.  I love how patient they are and how they treat them with respect and don't force them to do things they aren't ready for.  One of the shows we watched were about penguins and one of the babies was born with breathing problems.They worked and treated him so gently but in the end had to put it to sleep as they didn't want him to suffer.  It is one of the best animal shows on TV.

Honored Contributor

The only animal shows I've ever watched are Dr. Pol on Nat Geo Wild and The Vet Life on Animal Planet. Thanks for the recs.

Respected Contributor

phoenixbird - you stole the thoughts right outta my head!

Respected Contributor

Dodo Heros and Pitbulls and Parolees are two terrific shows as well. I read Tia's autobiography in a few hours. 

She's had a hard life, and a harder time just doing the rescue.

I think of her as a TRUE hero - she'll go the extra and do anything she can to help ANY animal in need, not just the pitties.

The Dodo Heros show makes me UGLY cry more often than not. 

Basically any animal show does that to me....as a child I could barely make it through Rin Tin Tin - Lassie - Flicka - or most episodes of Kuukla, Fran and Ollie for that matter~guess I'm tender to a fault! hahhahahaha.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Love Animal Planet but there is one vet that is disturbing.  I happened to be channel surfing and a vet was going to a dairy farm to artificially inseminate the cows.  An abhorrent process...that is extremely disturbing to watch and a thousand times worse for the cow to experience.  The vet was joking and making light of it.....intolerable behavior.  Milk does not do a cow's body good,  unless it is used for the purpose it was intended for....to feed calves.  The dairy industry is cruel.

Other than this painful event, I adore Animal Planet as it usually supports wildlife and domestic animals.  Thanks for the recommendations.

@phoenixbrd, well, I'm glad I didn't come across the mentioned show.  There's nothing humorous about what he was doing to that cow. 

I do agree with you, though about milk.  I know it certainly doesn't do my body any good.  Do you recall the name of the show or vet?  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

Dodo Heros and Pitbulls and Parolees are two terrific shows as well. I read Tia's autobiography in a few hours. 

She's had a hard life, and a harder time just doing the rescue.

I think of her as a TRUE hero - she'll go the extra and do anything she can to help ANY animal in need, not just the pitties.

The Dodo Heros show makes me UGLY cry more often than not. 

Basically any animal show does that to me....as a child I could barely make it through Rin Tin Tin - Lassie - Flicka - or most episodes of Kuukla, Fran and Ollie for that matter~guess I'm tender to a fault! hahhahahaha.

@MoonieBaby, Yes!  We both love Dodo Heroes.  One of the most recent ones was about a man saving and working with elephants, then when they were ready, being returned back into their environment.  That hour went by too fast watching it.