Respected Contributor

3/13/17: Do you watch "Vera" on Sunday nights?

It stars Brenda Blethyn and takes place in England in the country.

It's really a British show and sometimes I have a hard time understanding their accented English.  It is a crime drama, different every week, and I am usually surprised at the ending when the culprit is discovered by Vera.  She is brilliant in the series.

Google her; she is an interesting woman.  Age 66 and has said "I don't care what I look like in a role."   Vera is rather dumpy, over weight and a plain Jane.  But so intelligent; you will love her.

Have you seen Vera?

Honored Contributor

Re: 3/13/17: Do you watch "Vera" on Sunday nights?

I just can't watch anything when they have a British accent. I try and try and can't understand a word! 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I've seen all the episodes through season 3 or 4.  What channel is showing it on Sunday nights?

Trusted Contributor

I love British shows but, like you, have a hard time understanding the accent.  So I turn on the "closed caption " so that I see the words.  Works like a charm!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lived in England, so I think it's easier for me to understand what they are saying.  I love Vera.  You can watch her on Acorn tv, too. I remember going to Scotland and the family I was staying with asked me to slow down when I spoke because they couldn't understand my American accent.  I had to ask them the same thing. 

Honored Contributor

I have wanted to see Vera for years!! We don't get her. I take it you watch on a PBS station? On Sundays? I have 3 stations and am going to look more closely for it and also write to my station-whoops, better not since I'm not a member anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen Vera and really like the shows......see it on my PBS channel.......but the prob is the shows are shown "here and there" and i like to watch a series in order......i did notice while going to the local library for another series that they did have the Vera series available...but i am not sure if the "whole" series was available.............something you can check out at  your local library if you can't get it on TV.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've seen the Vera series in the past. Is another season coming on?  It was shown on Sat. nights.  

Not all PBS shows are not the same schedule.  We get 3 PBS channels here and they will often show the same series but on a different day and often weeks later than the channel it premiered on.

Esteemed Contributor

Closed captioning is your friend when it comes to many of the British programs shown on PBS

Respected Contributor

I don't understand why there is such a difference in PBS stations.  I don't get Vera (wish I did).  I don't get Agatha Raisin (wish I did).  I didn't think I lived in the hinterland.