Trusted Contributor

The main character for 24 was an actor on The Walking Dead last season who sort of disappeared but they didn't finish out his storyline.  Am wondering if he's going to show back up on TWD or not...

Honored Contributor

I loved 24 and really like this too, it moves at a quick pace. I would like it if the franchise continues with this show. I think the director that was behind the camera for 24 is also involved with this. 

Respected Contributor

I am watching, giving it a chance.

Enjoy the 24 format and pace, however.

Corey Hawkins character does not seem to have a strong character. His appeal as Eric Carter doesn't have that "it". His actions are there but he seems like a wimp, that macho thing, or attraction, has not presented itself. I am not looking for Jack but am looking for an individual with character to get into and follow.

Maybe going forward we will get to know Eric Carter and who he is.

I will be watching and am not negative about the show. However the clock is ticking.

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

I am watching, giving it a chance.

Enjoy the 24 format and pace, however.

Corey Hawkins character does not seem to have a strong character. His appeal as Eric Carter doesn't have that "it". His actions are there but he seems like a wimp, that macho thing, or attraction, has not presented itself. I am not looking for Jack but am looking for an individual with character to get into and follow.

Maybe going forward we will get to know Eric Carter and who he is.

I will be watching and am not negative about the show. However the clock is ticking.

There must be about 10 more hours to go. I like the show and am willing to give him a chance.

Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I've watched the first two episodes and it's okay, but not great. I find the premise of a massive search for the list of sleeper agents hidden in the country to be a bit out there. To begin with, I strongly suspect no sane master terrorist would keep such a list. If it fell into the wrong hands it would be a disaster for you and them. And having the list achieves what exactly? "Oh, now we can have them launch attacks!" Like they woudn't anyway? Modern terrorists have so many ways to communicate that a master list of terrorists is not the best plotting device. And breaking into a police evidence locker to steal millions of dollars to buy the list back from a crazy person? Seriously? He's got the list, He has to meet with you to exchange the list for the money. Worst case scenario you simply take him into custody or shoot him and the problem is solved in a lot less than 24 hours.

The evil cop routine gets kind of tired too. The kind hearted drug kingpin with the evil, jealous, double-crossing girlfriend endangering the wife of the hero also feels a bit tired. And of course, you have the possibly corrupt higher up who is betraying everyone in CTU. Yeah. Where have I seen all of this before? Oh, that's right. Everywhere.

I really like the idea behind the 24 franchise, but they need to rethink the plotting. I suspect this plot will become plodding and preachy very quickly. What's so bad about having real good guys and real bad guys? Why do they always insist on tainting the good guys and embellishing the bad guys?

The writers just aren't up to speed on this go round, but I'll give them another week or two largely because there's not much else on. Oh, and the hero dodging all of the automatic gunfire from the bad guys before he crushed them with the giant concrete pipe? If there's automatic weapons being fired at you like those were fired at him, the odds of dodging every bullet are kind of slim. If you hold an automatic weapon level and sweep it side to side while firing, pretty much anything in that line of fire will get hit and depending on the rate of fire, hit multiple times. Unless you're far away from the gun so there's more space between the bullets, you're a dead man.

Well, severely wounded anyway. You don't just dodge the gunfire for a couple of minutes while shooting a rope holding a giant concrete pipe. And seriously? No OSHA approved workplace would have a rope holding up a pipe like that. It would be nylon strapping or chains, not a piece of rope you can shoot through and it wouldn't just be left hanging in the air.

As you can probably tell, I'm not all that impressed by the quality of the writing or the direction the story is going. (Wife will get captured by the bad guys and our hero will have to save her by giving the bad guys the list they want.) The bad guy at the head of CTU will likely turn out not to be bad and campaign aide with ties to the terrorist will no doubt be working deep undercover to expose the terrorists rather than working with them, but there will be someone else she was working to expose that we don't know about yet who's the real threat.

They really need some new creative people doing the writing. I['m just not impressed. Less preaching, fewer stereotypes, real good guys/gals and real villains, more realism and less Hollywoood nonsense, and this could be a great series again. I'm not optimistic right now though. It's not off to the greatest start.

I agree.  Plus, I think the acting is pretty bad.  But I'll watch for a while longer.

Honored Contributor

Read this:  As a crazy Jack Bauer fan I'm beginning to get excited at the prospect of him returning.  He said many times though that 24 is EXTREMELY physical and he just didn't feel like his body was up to the physical aspect of doing Jack Bauer justice as people know him.

Read this and all I can say is ...."I'm hopeful"....

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Could-Jack-Bauer-Appear-24-Legacy-All-Here-What-Kiefer-Sutherl...

It has to be mildly frustrating to be Kiefer Sutherland, since he presumably can’t get

through a single interview without someone bringing up the prospect of him returning to the 24 universe as super-badass Jack Bauer. But then it’s also frustrating for his fans, as he has consistently flip-flopped from one stance to the next over the years. Despite relatively recently saying that he wouldn’t return for the reboot-ish 24: Legacy, Sutherland has now signed on as a producer for the show, and he’s no longer quite as steadfast about Jack Bauer not returning.

I've said that twice and have been wrong, so I won't say that again. . . . It's a phenomenal script. I think it's going to be incredibly liberating for the writers to not have to figure out one more bad day for Jack Bauer. They get to write for new characters. And Bauer's still out there, so you never know what's going to happen.

This basically means that the show will now be all about Jack Bauer and not the new characters that we were previously interested in, right? Well, maybe not, but we all know that as soon as Kiefer Sutherland starts to get more open-minded about his fan-favorite role, a reprisal is imminent.

It makes sense, considering Sutherland’s hesitance about returning to 24 had a lot to do with wanting to branch out with other projects and not wanting to dedicate such a huge chunk of time and energy to future seasons. (That also went into 24: Live Another Day only being 12 episodes.) Having Jack Bauer pop by in a limited appearance, though, would both save the actor from entering a hectic production and it would also provide some major fan service. That is, unless the writers decided to kill him off, although it’s a fate that quite a few viewers wanted to see each of the last times we thought it was Bauer’s last adventure.

Sutherland also talked to Rolling Stone about his new show Designated Survivor, in which he plays a housing minister that finds himself as the new President of the United States after an attack happens during the State of the Union address. The actor says that this project has him feeling as excited as he was in the first few years of 24, so maybe that jubilance has him a little less wary about returning to the franchise that turned him into a TV icon.

With or without Jack Bauer’s presence, 24: Legacy will center on Corey Hawkins’ Eric Carter, an Army Ranger who returns home to his family but soon finds that his troubles weren’t left in the past. He attempts to get CTU’s help in the matter, and he eventually teams up with Miranda Otto’s former CTU head Rebecca Ingram, who is having second thoughts about leaving her position. The show will also star Anna Diop, Teddy Sears, Jimmy Smits and Dan Bucatinsky, among others. No premiere date is set, but expect the first of 12 episodes to hit Fox this fall.

Honored Contributor

Not remotely interested even a little bit in this reboot... Some things should just be left as they were... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Well, last nights' show wasn't much of an improvement to me. During the big shootout and chase in the police building one of the officers somehow decided to take the time to answer his cell phone and then heard the voice of someone at CTU and called off the confrontation and let our hero wander off with the millions in cash from the evidence locker. Sure. That could happen. I mean, whenever I'm in a running gun battle with a guy holding a police officer hostage, answering my cell phone and blindly trusting whoever's on the other end is the first thing I'd do. It's not like you'd let a call go to voice mail in such a situation. No. Of course you'd answer the phone. It's not like the guy who just blew a giant hole in the wall of your station, took a police officer hostage, exchanged gunfire, and is stealing a few million dollars worth of evidence is a priority over answering the phone. Of course not! You always answer your phone in such a situation.

And of course the bad guys figure out what the good guys are doing and manage to catch our paranoid idiot with the list of terrorists and steal it back. I'm not exactly sure when our paranoid idiot found the time to remove a tile in a subway station, chisel out a perfectly sized hole in the concrete behind the tile to hide the flash drive, then reinstall the tile and grout it and everything, but who knows? Maybe he's a really fast worker? Afterall, it's not like the show takes place in real time. Oh wait! It does!

And of course the Muslim woman who's being framed for leaking the names of the special forces guys is being framed as we saw last night. And our dead high school student who holds the key to much of what's going on isn't quite as dead as we thought, but he soon will be when his girlfriend kills him in the ambulance or at the hopstial, except I suspect he won't really be dead even then. Jeez, the guy has like nine lives. No doubt when he survives his tenth or eleventh attempt to kill him he'll have a concussion and won't be able to remember what happened, cause that happens all the time.

Ugh! Writing good thrillers really isn't as hard as these people make it look. Seriously Fox, invest in some competent writers. Or at least some relatively sane ones.  I don't mind a show stretching the truth a bit, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm not on the edge of my seat, I'm pounding my head against the wall in frustration at much of the idiocy of the situations. There's got to be some level of believability and so far I'm just not seeing it. Ugh!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I watched "24 Legacy", and thought it was OK, but not great. I keep comparing it to the show with Jack Bauer and Chloe, and it seems to be missing something. I just can't get into the characters and don't really care what happens to anyone. I like the description "paranoid idiot" of that one guy. I probably won't continue watching it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I'm still watching.

I think part of the reason is that I enjoyed "Jack Bauer" so much that I'm excusing the flaws in  "Jack Bauer Light".  Woman LOL    LOL