Respected Contributor

Re: 2022 Oscars If you watched.....

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Did you enjoy it?  I did.

They have been soooo boring in the past, that I hardly ever bothered to watch this show.  This year, they promised music and not such a "stuffy" production, so I watched.

I am very happy with the three hosts of the show.  I think they did great.  I'm happy for Will Smith who finally got an Oscar (long overdue, imo).  It was wonderful to see Billie Eilish sing at the Oscars.  I liked the in Memororium section of the program.

It was also ver heartening to see CODA win so many awards.  Truly revolutionary in the fact that some of the actors are deaf.  

I think whoever the consulted on this year's show, gave them good tips.

Now I want to find out if Chris Rock's quick monologue really made Will Smith curse him while the sound was blocked out.  Methinks it was planned.

No, didn't watch, havent for years. I honestly haven't been to a movie for 40 years, This is the truth,I'm just not a movie person, would rather read a book, and rely on my own imagination. Don't watch them on TV either. I watched a wonderful hockey game last night. There was alot of hitting going on. Love hockey!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I actually forgot that they were on last night. I had a meeting so by the time I came home, they would have been well underway. There use to be a time when I always watched the Oscars, because I loved movies. Well, I still love movies, but with streaming nowadays. I catch movies when I catch them. On my schedule when it's convenient for me. 

I first became aware of the mess via FB last night. Then I watched the early morning news.  All that I can say, was that my first reaction to this was embarrassment, and that Sidney Poitier must be rolling over in his grave.  

Super Contributor

I'm a fan of Chris Rock, Jada Pinckett Smith and Will Smith.  However, I believe Will Smith's Oscar should be withdrawn to demonstrate the the Academy has zero tolerance for violence. 

If not, a Ricky Gervais will need to go on stage with a bodyguard and a weapon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't watch and haven't really watched an awards show in years.  I really got tired of all the politics and, silly antics at a show that should be solely based on honoring those excellent actors!

Esteemed Contributor

Will Smith had no right to hit anyone, no one does. Its a very bad example of behavior. Many comedians have made digs at the audience, no reason to hit and cuss. I will never look at Will Smith the same again. He and Jada are no angels themselves. It was disgusting.

Respected Contributor

Jada gave Will the stank eye and he went for it with Rock. If anyone watches her show they know that Jada puts everything about their private lives out there at that table. Even her children and their lives are put out for the world to see...and comment on. For the record, I don't believe Rock had any idea that Jada may have a problem with her hair. She AND her children have always used their hair to look outrageous or to express themselves. That invites opinions to be expressed by others. Chris Rock is a comedian. He was doing his job. I never agree with Joy Behar but she made a comment I agree with. The loose version of what she said was that now comedians are under attack and need body guards? Something like that. Smith should be ashamed, IMO. Violence is never the answer in a civilized society.
Honored Contributor

I wonder if Chris Rock didn't know she had a medical condition ?

You could tell she wasn't amused. Guess Willl thought she had been'

dissed and wanted to make a statement.

Chris Rock didn't know wheter to **** or go blind. That wasn't planned

that was real.

Esteemed Contributor

IMHO, if you get that mad, you should go for a walk. There is no excuse to hit someome. Will Smith needs to apologize and act like a man. We have too much violence in our world. It just shows that these so called awards shows are irrelevant. I would think it gets old to keep patting yourself on the back for such an exemplary job. 

Honored Contributor

Kevin should  bring 'The Rock' with him next time.

Will would be picking up his teeth. 

Frequent Contributor

Maya Angelou also said

“When someone shows you who they are believe them the first time." Now we all know who Will Smith really is and has been.