Esteemed Contributor

2022 Oscars If you watched.....

Did you enjoy it?  I did.

They have been soooo boring in the past, that I hardly ever bothered to watch this show.  This year, they promised music and not such a "stuffy" production, so I watched.

I am very happy with the three hosts of the show.  I think they did great.  I'm happy for Will Smith who finally got an Oscar (long overdue, imo).  It was wonderful to see Billie Eilish sing at the Oscars.  I liked the in Memororium section of the program.

It was also ver heartening to see CODA win so many awards.  Truly revolutionary in the fact that some of the actors are deaf.  

I think whoever the consulted on this year's show, gave them good tips.

Now I want to find out if Chris Rock's quick monologue really made Will Smith curse him while the sound was blocked out.  Methinks it was planned.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

Re: 2022 Oscars If you watched.....

I liked the dresses !  They were decent looking and modest as well . Most of the girls looked elegant !

Trusted Contributor

Was not planned.  There is live audio of what Will yelled to him.  The Academy wouldn't allow that to be in the show scripted.

It was heartfelt by Will.   He did a fine job in his acceptance speech to apologize and show why he did it.   Chris Rock was out of line.  It's one thing to make fun of someone's roles in a movie, but to make fun of her because she has a health issue regarding her alopecia was disgusting.

I have hair loss myself.  I have to cover it every day.  It's a frightening thing to have happen to you and Jada's strength to show that she is dealing with it so beautifully and helping other women who suffer should be acknowledged.

Chris Rock should be the one who isn't invited back.  In a world right now where people are being bullied for what they are dealing with in life, it was sad he had to make fun of her disease.  

Esteemed Contributor

I thought it was pretty terrible. I thought that Wanda Sykes and Regina King were terrible hosts and Amy Shumer was funny but not a great host. Will Smith was way out of line. These famous, rich actors should not be so thin skinned. I was glad to see Jessica Chastain win and I was thrilled that Kenneth Branaugh won for best screenplay. 

Respected Contributor

What Smith did is disgusting, an uncensored video is on Twitter...he slapped Rock, walked back to his seat & screaming threw the f word around..the exchange wasn't planned, it wasn't a joke. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

What Smith did is disgusting, an uncensored video is on Twitter...he slapped Rock, walked back to his seat & screaming threw the f word around..the exchange wasn't planned, it wasn't a joke. 

You have to know the history of these two and how long Chris has been doing this with Will and Jada to say that.  It was staged.  They needed to get buzz for the Oscars and they got it.  It was a better show than it has ever been @kitcat51 .  

Rock's way of doing comedy is to be brash and insult.  Everyone knows this, including Will.  They are friends in case you didn't know that.

Esteemed Contributor

Sykes had me dying in the Museum.  I loved that skit.  Regina Hall was being fresh (it was a fun Oscar show).  My opinion only.  It wasn't "stuffy."  They know that had to do something because they were losing viewership.

Amy, Regina and Wanda (Rock) pulled it off for them.  Then to see so many people from other films come together sort of like a reunion to give out awards was smart.

I'm pleased that made the decision to watch.

Valued Contributor

The altercation between Chris Rock and Will Smith was not staged. Very uncomfortable for sure to watch and listen to.

This must have been the year to show cleavage as some of the dresses left nothing to the imagination. I didn't think the Williams sisters' dresses were attractive 

I did think Will deserved the Academy Award. I saw the movie and then read about the Williams family. The father was married before and left that wife and 4 children. 2nd wife had Venus and Serena. 2nd wife also brought 3 of her girls from an earlier marriage to the marriage with Richard so that is why in the movie there are 5 sisters ( some step- sisters ) Father divorced her and married again and I think had more kids.  Now his som from the 1st marriage is taking care of him as he is in ill health.

Esteemed Contributor

@judianne 

@judianne wrote:

I liked the dresses !  They were decent looking and modest as well . Most of the girls looked elegant !

I just have watched a different show.   While most looked beautiful, I saw more boob, almost out of their dersses. Even saw nipples on one of the sisters.

It,s not glam and beautiful style Hollywood anymore. Elegant times

Honored Contributor

Yes, the show was a little better this year but still needs improvement.  Viewers want to be entertained -- this is Hollywood so bring it on.  Chris Rock called Jada G.I.Jane 2 and she did not like it.  Will at first was smiling about it but then looked at Jada.  Jada could have stopped him but she did not. Will got up and slapped Chris across the face.  Action at the Oscars.  Sometimes comedians can go too far with what they say about people especially when the comedian does not know the circumstances.  As far as gowns for the women, I liked:  Kristin Dunst in red, Mila Kunis is a beautiful medium pink, satin gown, Penelope Cruz in black.  Some of the gowns were showing too much boobs and it was in poor taste.  I mean these ladies are not going to some sleezy nightclub -- it's the Oscars.

kindness is strength