Trusted Contributor

Re: 2019 MTV Video Music Awards

I must be getting old as I do not know any of the at the moment musicians.  Do not like Taylor Swift.  Give me the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s music any day over the new stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

I knew it was on but did not watch.  I could not care less who wins those awards.  Plus, they can never keep their political opinions to themselves, like we care what they think.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

The show was uneventful for me. It will be another show that will be forgotten soon. 

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I knew it was on but did not watch.  I could not care less who wins those awards.  Plus, they can never keep their political opinions to themselves, like we care what they think.

Do you really believe in your heart the Margaret Mead siggy you use?  "They" and "we" are such group think words that erase completely the unique inidivuality each person believes politically or thinks as they watch.  The two trains of thought seemed to conflict.  I'm kind of a cheerleader for individualism so I applaud your choice to not watch.

We need less group think, more listening, more recognition of the uniqueness of others, which are reasons why Taylor Swift's song is such a hit. 

I don't always watch simply because it isn't important to me but I do get a kick out of the party atmosphere that the audience engages in and how camera aware some are.  I watched until a more interesting show came on another channel.

Honored Contributor

Yikes, it was on about 50 different channels, enough already!!

Esteemed Contributor

"Thanks...i will look for Taylers new song as i like the Dixie Chicks...love their singing...been a big fan for many years.

Edited to add.

I found the video....and i loved the song.. violin playing was perfect//

I would love for the Dixie Chicks to also record the song with out Tayler...just to hear what their song version would be.

thanks again" @cowboy sam 

I'm a Dixie Chicks fan too and would love to hear them cover "Soon You'll Get Better." Natalie Maines has the voice of an angel so I imagine it would be a little slice of heaven. Heart

On a funnier note, we took my young daughter to see the Dixie Chicks in concert several times which was great until one day we were at a relative's house and she started belting out "Sin Wagon." That was a little hard to explain. Yes, those were the days, and even though she no longer lives at home there are still framed pictures of them up on her bedroom wall. I can't seem to make myself take them down. 

I haven't checked into this much but I heard the Dixie Chicks are in the studio working on their 1st album in 13 years with the help of producer/writer Jack Antonoff. I sure hope it's true! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Do you really believe in your heart the Margaret Mead siggy you use?  "They" and "we" are such group think words that erase completely the unique inidivuality each person believes politically or thinks as they watch.  The two trains of thought seemed to conflict.  I'm kind of a cheerleader for individualism so I applaud your choice to not watch.

We need less group think, more listening, more recognition of the uniqueness of others, which are reasons why Taylor Swift's song is such a hit. 

I don't always watch simply because it isn't important to me but I do get a kick out of the party atmosphere that the audience engages in and how camera aware some are.  I watched until a more interesting show came on another channel.

@Free2be My "siggy" just means that we are all unique, as you know.  As far as the awards and the musicians spouting their views, 1) It is an awards show and that is where the focus should be.  Accept your award graciously and sit down.  2) I think too many people (audience/fans) may base their own opinions on what the "celebrities" think.  Everyone has to make up their own mind, do their own research and really think about how they want the country to be run and vote accordingly.  But the "celebrities"  who get a platform on TV can not seem to help themselves that they have to interject their thoughts at a time when it is not appropriate.  It is very arrogant of them to think that they know better than the rest of the voting population and try to be an influencer.  They can spout their opinions on social media all they want.  But when they are being honored for their work, I think they should keep their political opinions to themselves.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

I also heard that some time back about the Dixie chicks in recording studio ..

Like you i hope it happens soon again recording...Heart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

I agree...there is a time and a place for political views but not on award shows!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips   I'll just say based on your interesting comment: " It is very arrogant of them to think that they know better than the rest of the voting population" that you have a  way of seeing it that I will best leave it alone. You are not alone, I'm sure a lot of other people think everyone else sees the voting world through that same lens.   I do understand not wanting to hear it when you don't care to watch the awards.  I don't care to hear politicians spout about receiving awards they never received, too, so I do understand your position even if I don't agree with it.