Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2019 MTV Video Music Awards

I respect everyone's opinion but I do see it differently. Imo, the time on stage belongs to the winner and how much time do they get...45 seconds after the clapping ends? I feel like if they want to use that time to share their mama's meatloaf recipe that's fine with me as it's not up to me to decide what they should or shouldn't say. I'm secure enough with my own recipe not to feel threatened by theirs. I might not be that interested, but I would listen. Who knows? I might hear about a new ingredient I hadn't previously considered and, if not, I'll just stick with my own as I'm not that easily swayed. As long as they aren't inappropriate (and the venue will cut them off if they are) they earned those brief moments to speak. I think there may have been a couple of comments regarding immigration last night which seemed to be embraced warmly by the audience, however, I want to speak specifically about the acceptance speech for You Need To Calm Down.

YNTCD won the Video of the Year Award as well the Video for Good award. The song is an anthem of inclusion. It encourages self-love, community support, and acceptance. At the end of the video was a message which urged people to sign the petition for The Equality Act that asks for, on a national level, that our laws treat all of our citizens equally. Is that political? Absolutely, and nowhere would it be more appropriately included in an acceptance speech than at the VMAs when it was rewarded for spreading that very important message.

Super Contributor

@SusieQ_2 "clapping", very well written whether we all agree with your comments or not.  This is an opinion blog, and I enjoy reading well written, thoughtful and sincere comments. The rude, mean ones throw me off a bit, and leave me feeling sad for some reason. We are all made of the same human fibers.  However, our experiences, upbringing and basic nature create who we are ouside of just being a human being.  Respect, understanding and empathy should be a natural part of who we are.  Unfortunately, it is not always the case.   To ALL, have a blessed day!

Valued Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I respect everyone's opinion but I do see it differently. Imo, the time on stage belongs to the winner and how much time do they get...45 seconds after the clapping ends? I feel like if they want to use that time to share their mama's meatloaf recipe that's fine with me as it's not up to me to decide what they should or shouldn't say. I'm secure enough with my own recipe not to feel threatened by theirs. I might not be that interested, but I would listen. Who knows? I might hear about a new ingredient I hadn't previously considered and, if not, I'll just stick with my own as I'm not that easily swayed. As long as they aren't inappropriate (and the venue will cut them off if they are) they earned those brief moments to speak. I think there may have been a couple of comments regarding immigration last night which seemed to be embraced warmly by the audience, however, I want to speak specifically about the acceptance speech for You Need To Calm Down.

YNTCD won the Video of the Year Award as well the Video for Good award. The song is an anthem of inclusion. It encourages self-love, community support, and acceptance. At the end of the video was a message which urged people to sign the petition for The Equality Act that asks for, on a national level, that our laws treat all of our citizens equally. Is that political? Absolutely, and nowhere would it be more appropriately included in an acceptance speech than at the VMAs when it was rewarded for spreading that very important message.

I like YOUR recipe! 😊

Honored Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I like YOUR recipe! 😊

I agree with you! The winner has the right to use their time as they see fit. I may not agree with what they say, but they have the right to say it.