Honored Contributor

Re: 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

I don't think you can learn a new jump at 26 and I also don't think everyone's body is able to do that.

During one of the commentaries, they talked about one of the skaters had learned to do a jump one way and had a hard time relearning it starting in a different position.

These kids start this stuff at like 2 years old.

As for the programs, they are very expensive to buy the music rights and have it professionally edited to the amount of time of the program, have the costume made and most use a choreographer.  Once they commit to a program, it's an investment of both time and money and you can't just toss it out.  That's why when a new program isn't working they will go back to an old program vs coming up with something new.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35@  wrote:

I don't think you can learn a new jump at 26 and I also don't think everyone's body is able to do that.

During one of the commentaries, they talked about one of the skaters had learned to do a jump one way and had a hard time relearning it starting in a different position.

These kids start this stuff at like 2 years old.

As for the programs, they are very expensive to buy the music rights and have it professionally edited to the amount of time of the program, have the costume made and most use a choreographer.  Once they commit to a program, it's an investment of both time and money and you can't just toss it out.  That's why when a new program isn't working they will go back to an old program vs coming up with something new.

@VaBelle35, I know this and respectfully disagree. 

I'm not saying programs shouldn't be repeated, they have to be.  But seriiously, Kayne and O'Shea skating to Swan Lake?  

I'm not suggesting everyone go the route of Jimmy Ma, who skated to "Turn Down for What" -- although it was refreshing and wonderful and I think it's no coincidence his performance has gone viral as opposed to those who will be competing in the Olympics.

There is a lot of music available.  Beside the jumps there are infnite choreography and costume choices.   I don't like the choices that are being made.  I feel they are uninspired.  They lack exuberance.  

I feel US Figure Skating is going through a dull slump.  It happens.  

Nathan Chen is an incredible athlete but barring a catastrophe not much suspense there.

The only one I'm excited about is Bradie Tennell -- and her music was perfect and her costume was appropriate and she needs work.  Her program was a true Cinderella story.  I'm very excited hoping to follow her improving for years to come.  

Starr Andrews but she's got a ways.  That's it.  I'll watch but the others don't excite me.  This hasn't been a good few years for US Skating.

Honored Contributor

I think it all comes down to money.  If you have to choreograph it yourself, it's not going to be a good as if you hire a choreographer.  If you don't have the money for the music, you are stuck with cheap music.

A think a lot of the flaws/boredome are directly linked to a lack of funds.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have to agree that some of the music is just awful, especially, it seemed to me, some of it chosen by a few of the men... Too loud and often discordant, it was too often distracting. Likewise, some of the very drab and dull costumes, again, mostly selected by some of the men, did nothing to add flash to the routines.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I'm going to flip over and watch it.  Back 20-25 years ago, I knew every skater in all four divisions.  Now, I bet I don't recognize the first name in any of the four.  I just don't follow it anymore.  Ice Dancing was always my favorite.

@shoptilyadropagain  I feel the same way.  I used to be a fanatic and knew the names of all...ice dancing being my favorite going back to Torvil & Dean.  Today I really don't know the skaters but I have been watching the championships so I only know who they are because of the last few days.

I don't really know why I don't follow it as much anymore.  ...but I am looking forward to the Olympics!  It's my favorite sport to watch!

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I have to agree that some of the music is just awful, especially, it seemed to me, some of it chosen by a few of the men... Too loud and often discordant, it was too often distracting. Likewise, some of the very drab and dull costumes, again, mostly selected by some of the men, did nothing to add flash to the routines.

@stevieb, I don't think it's limited to the men.  Some of the pairs and ice dancing music was head-scratcing.  And the costumes.  There is a way to be technically awesome and still be classy and/or fun.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35wrote:

I think it all comes down to money.  If you have to choreograph it yourself, it's not going to be a good as if you hire a choreographer.  If you don't have the money for the music, you are stuck with cheap music.

A think a lot of the flaws/boredome are directly linked to a lack of funds.

I don't think it's possible to get to the top of figure skating without having piles of money anymore.  That's why Tonya Harding was such an anomaly and look what happened to her.

I have a friend whose daughter started young (but not two!) and did very well in locals and then regionals but fourteen years later when she realized how many were ahead of her she gave up her dream.

I have a friend who was ranked and seeded in the U.S. Open for tennis when we were young.  Same there.  And rich as well.

I'm posting an interesting article below.  I'm doing it as its own because it has a racy picture and someone might report it.  I read it and was sad.

Respected Contributor

icenetwork dot com awards medals for the best costumes of the competition. 

here

Honored Contributor

It's from vice.com.  It does not describe everyone's experience, not at all.  But what it does describe is much sadder then I ever would have thought.  Some of it is tragic, like what is done to some young girl's bodies and what happened to Tai Babalonia and others.  Makes me very sad.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/bn5mj4/figure-skating-ruins-lives

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

icenetwork dot com awards medals for the best costumes of the competition. 

here

Wow, interesting!!!  Thanks!

The only ones I liked out of every single one were Adam Rippon and Scott Dyer.

They don't show it but I thought Bradie Tennell's was okay.  Just okay.  A little plain.  As is her skating.  For now.  She and Starr (whose red costume I detested) have a lot of room to grow.