Trusted Contributor

20/20 Special 3/1/19 on Sara Stern Case

What a sad sad story.  This happened at the Jersey Shore & I live in NJ so it was in the news a lot.  The trial just ended recently and when her "friend" Liam was found guilty of her murder I feel everyone breathed a little easier.  I saw her poor father being interviewed & he said all he keeps replaying in his mind is his daughter's last moments.  I believe the convicted party will get his sentence this spring.  I hope it's whatever the maximum will allow.

Regular Contributor

Re: 20/20 Special 3/1/19 on Sara Stern Case

I watched this as well.  You are right - a sad story indeed.  With friends like those two, you certainly don't need any enemies.  And the way Liam talked about her dog!  Well that just sent me over the edge.  Two losers.  If they wanted the money that bad, why didn't they just steal it.  They didn't have to murder her.  A beautiful life lost.  I, too, hope they both get the maximum.

Trusted Contributor

@demanda When that part came out during the trial about her dog "watching"the murder & the fact it took her a half hour to perish it made my husband & I sick to our stomachs.  I can understand a mother's love for her son but the interviews with his mother shows she is just in denial.  He was greedy & murdered for money.  When the cops found the key to the buried safe deposit box on his key ring it jwas just more evidence of his guilt besides the horrific video.    How could his mother not even acknowledge evidence?

Trusted Contributor

My heart broke for her father. She was a beautiful young women. 

His mother was something else with her fake crying. There were no tears. 

Regular Contributor

@nova I agree about the mother being in denial.  When she was "crying," it was so fake.  Not a tear in sight.  Your heart just breaks for the father - to have to sit there and listen to the details about his daughters death.  I can't even imagine.  Liam showed no remorse.  At least Preston did.  Not excusing his participation, just saying I'm glad he came around and helped the police.  Do you know when sentencing is?

Trusted Contributor

I think he's due back in court late May.   When the local news originally started covering the fact that Preston Taylor was her junior prom date it just took off like wildfire in news coverage. And the fact that Preston Taylor then said he was just following the "plan" created by Liam.  So disgusting.  And supposedly Liam was always a friend she leaned on when she was sad about her mother's death.  The way that Liam tried to portray her father as a bad guy was such a calculated move on his part to throw the cops attention away from him.  I remember the local news when her father had the search and vigil.  There were no dry eyes for sure.    Liam's attorney really tried to portray him as an actor "wannabee" who the cops were going after unfairly.  Nobody bought his BS.  And did you notice the reaction of her dog while in his crate during the original police search interview?  To me it did look like the dog was very frightened.  When the cop tried to give him a treat he wouldn't even take it.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Here in Philadelphia we get your local news in our local news.  Not in as much detail, of course.  What a sad and horrific event.  Throw the book at that psychopathic 'friend' and there was another kid involved, too, I think.

Trusted Contributor

@PhilaLady1   Yep - both her childhood friends!!  2 people with no conscience.  Everyone commends her acquaintance (another HS friend) who had the courage to come forward & share his suspicions with the police. It was because of him the police were able to get the video confession.

Regular Contributor

OMG @nova you are making me tear up at the thought of that precious little dog.  You are right, he was so frightened.  I remember when the police officer tried to give him the treat and he wouldn't take it.  UGH!  I hope a friend or family member took the dog and loves him half as much as she did.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@demanda   Me 2.   Every now & then a story comes along that really shakes you.  This was one of them for me.  Thank God there was justice for Sara.  I know this is not over either.  The sentencing in May will be covered extensively here.