Esteemed Contributor

Re: 20/20 Killing On The Cape

I wondered why the father of the 2 year old did not want to then raise her with his wife after her mother was murdered. They said Christa's friend raised the baby.

Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

I wondered why the father of the 2 year old did not want to then raise her with his wife after her mother was murdered. They said Christa's friend raised the baby.

@threecees, Christa had a will stating the friend should raise Ava. Maybe the father didn't want the long drawn out proceedings and gave into Christa's wishes. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watched both nights and found the jury decision to be most disturbing.  Quite a coincidence that the one person who many think really killed her has not only had all of the testimony about him destroyed, but he has also had many arrests, including raping a child.   The thinking was that he was an informant and there was a cover-up to protect him.  From what has been said about his criminality, he does not warrant protection.  I wonder if they will take another look at the trial with the anger that has been generated from Dateline.

I was glad that they did not show Ava as a young woman, but they did say that she is in college and doing well.  Her father and his wife wanted custody; but, he was considered a suspect for quite some time and the courts would not allow that, especially since Christina had named someone in her will to be Ava's guardian.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I am disgusted by this horrible imprisonment of Christopher McCowan. It is more than obvious that the Foreman was a bully and a racist and refused to listen to the facts of this case.  It is nauseating to learn that he has been wrongfully imprisoned over 11 years.  Something needs to be done.  I am so angry over this! Hopefully, the Innocence Project and similar organizations can help this man. 

Respected Contributor

48 Hours did an hour long show about the Cape Cod  case last Saturday (11/18).  At the end there were two images of Ava with Tony J. She attends college now. A Beautiful  child is now a Beautiful  young lady. it's On demand (Fios)

the 20/20 show, on demand is only showing Part 2. Were there 2 episodes over a week or two?

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I watched this last night, it was about the murder of Christa Worthington in 2002. I found it very interesting. The man convicted of her murder is Christopher McCowan an African American man. Watching this I felt sorry for him, the jury seemed to be comprised of racists, there was only one lone African American juror who didn't feel comfortable sitting on the jury, three jurors felt coerced to voting guilty. It seems Christopher McCowan may not have understood how and why he was being arrested, he had drugs in his system and also may have diminished capacity. He should at least get a retrial, he didn't have a trial by a jury of his peers.

I saw it too and was already familiar with the case.   He lives on Cape Cod and had a jury made up of Cape Codders.  As stated in the show, the percentage of African Americans living on Cape Cod is way smaller than the national percentage of AAs. Thus,  I thought he did get a jury of his peers.  Is skin-color what makes peers?  I've often heard it stated that O.J.'s jury wasn't of his peers either in the sense that he was very upper class financially and lived in a white neighborhood.

If any juror was "coerced" into a vote, shame on that juror.  Everyone on the jury was an adult with equal input; nobody should allow themselves to be coerced.  

I agreed with what the prosecution stated at the end - all the evidence pointed to Cowan (who was found guilty).  It sure didn't help that he denied knowing Christa at all when first questioned by the police.  I also didn't believe that he had consensual s*x with Christa on the Thursday when she asked him to come in and get his Christmas tree to take away.Wasn't that during his garbage route?  So, really?  "One thing led to another" while on his route?  I find that hard to believe.

@Pearlee  Skin color does not equal "peers," as you referenced the O.J. Simpson case.  Though the Jury was mostly black, they certainly were not Simpson's peers.

Honored Contributor

I didn't get the supposed "twist" at the end.  The only scenario that fit the crime scene they described in the very beginning was Chris' eventual confession.  How could he match up his actions to what the investigators thought happened if he wasn't there?  

I do think the other guy was there too.  They totally glossed over his sweater fibers being found there.  Why? 

Journalism is so sad these days.  Put down your agenda and just tell the story.  I think this guy is in jail correctly because of his actions or inaction and nothing else.  The only twist here, in my opinion, is they let the white guy who probably did the actual murder skate. 

His butt needs to be there too and not for his other crimes which wouldn't have happened if the police did the job right in the first place.  A bad guy is a bad guy who obviously continued to be bad.  There was definitely racism but it was white privilege who let a guilty man walk not an innocent man sit behind bars.  

That was what I got out of it anyway.  I think Chris went to go get some consensual action like he said and Jeremy decided to be a thief because he was bored.  When he did get caught and got violent, he killed her just like Chris said.  And Chris did nothing.  

Both guilty.  Both should be in jail.       

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I watched this last night, it was about the murder of Christa Worthington in 2002. I found it very interesting. The man convicted of her murder is Christopher McCowan an African American man. Watching this I felt sorry for him, the jury seemed to be comprised of racists, there was only one lone African American juror who didn't feel comfortable sitting on the jury, three jurors felt coerced to voting guilty. It seems Christopher McCowan may not have understood how and why he was being arrested, he had drugs in his system and also may have diminished capacity. He should at least get a retrial, he didn't have a trial by a jury of his peers.

I saw it too and was already familiar with the case.   He lives on Cape Cod and had a jury made up of Cape Codders.  As stated in the show, the percentage of African Americans living on Cape Cod is way smaller than the national percentage of AAs. Thus,  I thought he did get a jury of his peers.  Is skin-color what makes peers?  I've often heard it stated that O.J.'s jury wasn't of his peers either in the sense that he was very upper class financially and lived in a white neighborhood.

If any juror was "coerced" into a vote, shame on that juror.  Everyone on the jury was an adult with equal input; nobody should allow themselves to be coerced.  

I agreed with what the prosecution stated at the end - all the evidence pointed to Cowan (who was found guilty).  It sure didn't help that he denied knowing Christa at all when first questioned by the police.  I also didn't believe that he had consensual s*x with Christa on the Thursday when she asked him to come in and get his Christmas tree to take away.Wasn't that during his garbage route?  So, really?  "One thing led to another" while on his route?  I find that hard to believe.

@Pearlee  Skin color does not equal "peers," as you referenced the O.J. Simpson case.  Though the Jury was mostly black, they certainly were not Simpson's peers.

@mousiegirl   Yes, my phrasing it as a question was more rhetorical; I knew that.

Honored Contributor

I think Jeremy killed her. When Chris told his story while he was wasted- was all true. When he sobered up he didn't remember saying that and he didn't even remember the actual crime. Alcohol will do that, but he said it while he DID remember it. 

Honored Contributor

They aired this again last night. Only at the end they added that Jeremy got arrested for child rape then the charges were dropped because of the lack of evidence!! ARRRGG!

Chris is still waiting for a re-trial and some evidence has already disappeared.