Honored Contributor

2 Robert Donat movies today on TCM

I can't wait.

At 2:15 PM "Vacation From Marriage" is going to be shown on TCM, with Robert Donat, Deborah Kerr, Glynis Johns and Ann Todd. It is such a subtle character study for both Robert Donat and Deborah Kerr.

And then at 4 PM "Goodbye Mr Chips" is going to be shown. 

I am so glad that Robert Donat was remembered in the 31 Days of Oscar.

Respected Contributor

Re: 2 Robert Donat movies today on TCM

I've never seen "Vacation From Marriage", but I love "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"....such a sweet story, and beautifully acted.

That is the only thing I miss since getting rid of cable...TCM!

Honored Contributor

Until I actually watched Goodbye Mr. Chips I was skeptical that Donat beat Gable for the best actor award.  But Donat deserved it.  Greer Garson's first role although small is memorable.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee  That is THE reason I will not get rid of my cable--LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely loved "Vacation From Marriage". What a little gem. Glynnis Johns was very good as well in a supporting role. Robert Donat and Deborah Kerr absolutely shine in this movie. Recording it again for another watch!

Frequent Contributor

Vacation from Marriage is better than Mr. Chips.  Robert Donat is rather handsome in his uniform!  Can't wait to watch.

Honored Contributor

Glynis Johns is a special favorite of mine, and I love that she gets a spirited 'showcase' role in "Vacation from Marriage"!

Honored Contributor

At 8 PM there is another "Robert Picks" movie "Brief Encounter". Whenever I saw a "Robert Picks" movie listed on TCM schedule, I tried to make sure I did not miss it.

Brief Encounter, the screenplay was written by Noel Coward and stars Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  Another excellent movie with great performances by the 2 leads.  A simple, heartfelt story.

I still miss Robert Osborne!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@drizzellla  Another excellent movie with great performances by the 2 leads.  A simple, heartfelt story.

I still miss Robert Osborne!

I wish I had gone on the TCM cruise when Robert Osborne was still alive.

I have been on several Disney cruises. They sometimes have special guests on board and it is so interesting to hear what they have to say. One time Richard Sherman was a guest on the Disney cruise. He gave several talks, it was when the movie Saving Mr Banks was released. He talked about dealing with P.L. Travers and had several recordings of her reaction to the music he and his brother wrote. It was informative and fun to listen.