Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2/18/17: My first time using "On Demand."

"Hi, Susie, I have been getting two DVDs via Netflix each month.  (You can choose how many movies you get each month.)  I pay about $5.00 a month and love the company;  it is very well organized and run.   I don't plan on canceling my membership." @Big Sister

I see where DVDs can be ordered and sent back and forth. Another poster says they can be streamed with a streaming device, but when I look up certain movies--"Me Before You" for example, it comes up with the message "This title is unavailable to stream. Available only on Netflix DVD." When I click on Netflix DVD there is information about monthly plans but nothing about streaming. 

Either there was some confusion about which movies I was talking about, or something changes when you use a streaming device. As it is, I'm happy with all the content Netflix provides even without the DVDs, but it's nice to have the option.

So many shows, so little time!

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@I like celery wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Big Sister, sorry you didn't enjoy your first movie experience with On Demand. I'm betting you already know this, but since you're new to it, it might be worth mentioning. You can always watch a preview, like a trailer, of any movie you're thinking about renting. Just be careful about which choice you click! 

I don't rent many movies, but when I do, I watch the trailer and then Google it to see how others reviewed it. I've actually changed my mind about a few I was considering by doing that.

Someone mentioned watching a movie on Netflix so I checked it out. It's cheaper than On Demand but Netflix actually sends DVDs in the mail. So it's either pay a little more or deal with the DVDs coming and going. What's that saying...six of one, half a dozen of the other?

Anyway, I hope you like your next movie better!

If you have a streaming device or if your TV is a smart TV, you can stream movies from Netflix instead of having DVDs sent to your home.  HTH 

Hey thanks @I like celery! That's a great thing to know. I don't have a smart TV but I am looking to get a streaming device. So far I don't know whether to get the Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, or Roku. 

If Big Sister thinks she's not proficient with electronics she should meet me. I will say I was proud of myself for connecting my router. Yep, connected two cables and I thought I was a superhero! Smiley Very Happy

@SusieQ_2  You're welcome!

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I see where DVDs can be ordered and sent back and forth. Another poster says they can be streamed with a streaming device, but when I look up certain movies--"Me Before You" for example, it comes up with the message "This title is unavailable to stream. Available only on Netflix DVD." When I click on Netflix DVD there is information about monthly plans but nothing about streaming. 

Either there was some confusion about which movies I was talking about, or something changes when you use a streaming device. As it is, I'm happy with all the content Netflix provides even without the DVDs, but it's nice to have the option.

So many shows, so little time!

@SusieQ_2  Netflix doesn't always have the "rights" to every movie or tv series, so some titles aren't available to be streamed.  I believe it's also like that with Amazon, Hulu, etc.  Even with cable companies -- I once wanted to watch a new release from Time Warner Cable's On-Demand, but found out Time Warner Cable didn't have the "rights," and wouldn't be able to offer it via On-Demand.

If you go to Netflix's Help Center, you can enter "streaming" into the search bar, and find out info on steaming:  

https://help.netflix.com/search?q=streaming

Here's also some basic info:

Streaming Devices

Watch anywhere, anytime, on thousands of devices. Netflix streaming software enables you to instantly watch content from Netflix through any Internet-connected device that offers the Netflix app, including smart TVs, game consoles, streaming media players, smartphones or tablets. View our Internet Speed Recommendations to achieve the best performance. You can also stream Netflix directly from your computer or laptop. We recommend reviewing the System Requirements for web browser compatibility.

Membership

Pick your price, pick your plan! Netflix offers 3 membership plans to suit your needs. Your plan will determine how many people can stream Netflix content at once, and whether you can view in Standard Definition (SD), High Definition (HD), or Ultra High Definition (UHD):

• Basic Plan: 1 screen plan SD (stream on one device at a time, Standard Definition)
  • Standard Plan: 2 screen plan HD (stream on 2 devices at a time, High Definition when available)
  • Premium Plan: 4 screen plan HD/UHD 4K (stream on up to 4 devices at a time, includes High Definition and Ultra High Definition when available)
♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

From Netflix Help Center:

Question:

I’m looking for a TV show or movie, and I can’t find it. Why doesn’t Netflix have what I am looking for?

Answer:

Netflix works with content providers, distributors, producers, and creators to acquire licensing for TV shows and movies to stream on our service. When we do not have content available to stream, it can be for a few different reasons, including:

• The content rights are currently exclusive to another company.
  • The streaming rights are not available to purchase from the content provider.
  • Popularity, cost, seasonal or other localized factors, or availability.
♥ Life is beauty full ♥