Honored Contributor

Re: 1963 SUSPENSE FLICK FOR BIG JOANIE AND OTHERS TIRED OF TARZAN ON TCM

The first TV show that comes to mind is the late, lamented "The Man from U.N.C.L.E..  So good with its spoofy atmosphere and far-flung locales.  That's one that very few of the retro channels seem to re-run.  I wonder why-- it was so good, as were David McCallum and Robert Vaughan...

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, both actresses you mention, Bardot and Ann-Margret, seem to have a care-givers spirit.  Hasn't Bardot been devoting much of her time to animal welfare?   And you are right, Ann-Margret seems to have been devoted, "in sickness and in health" to Roger Smith.  Highly admirable!

Respected Contributor

Oznell .. thank you so much ....yes i have been whinning lately about

the selection of movies .. AND there was even a Tarzan on this

morning ... things startd to look up with the FBI Story this afternoon

and A Lion in Winter soon after .....

Thanks always for the heads up ... I have not seen this .. going to set the

DVR ....!!!

Respected Contributor

@trenet wrote:

@Oznell

This will be quite a treat Saturday night.  Ages since I’ve seen it. 

Of late, I try not to miss any Laurence Harvey movies. 

Book not by Graham Greene. (Had to check because I couldn’t believe it was a Graham Greene I hadn’t read/didn’t have!)

Shelley Smith “The Ballad of the Running Man” 1960.

Shelley Smith was the pseudonym for Nancy Bodington who wrote a number of crime novels. 

(So many Tarzan’s, even my husband would have thought too many consecutively shown!  He believes Tarzan is for Saturday afternoons like it was when we were kids.) 

My Saturday afternoons as a kid was for Shirley Temple ....but I may be a little

older ...!!

Respected Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on this movie.  I always thought Harvey and Bates were so

handsome and great actors.  I love Lee Remick.  Of course my favorite part she played was in the great Wine and Roses movie with another talented wonderful actor, Jack Lemmon.  When you mention all of these stars, I know even I don't care for the movies I will always see fantastic acting and that for me can make the movie watchable.  The Running Man is a good story with a wonderful cast.

The Tarzan movies were  traumatic for me as a young girl, too much animal killing.  I always felt bad for the lions, tigers and other animals that were harmed.  I still feel that way and do not watch animal movies.  I saw Old Yeller once and cried and cried when I was a youngster, once was enough for me!!!!!

Oh I agree ... only saw Old Yeller once ... enough ... couldn't take the Yearlng

either .....

Trusted Contributor

I missed this tonight @Oznell, but I will be on the lookout for it for the future. I thought Alan Bates was super hot in An Unmarried Woman-Smiley Happy And I just adore beautiful Lee Remick. Thanks as always for the suggestions!

Honored Contributor

My favorite thing about this movie was the green pants outfit worn by a woman at the party in Spain.  Such a 60s color, and I wish it would be seen again soon.

Sadly, I found the characters horribly annoying.  I wish I could have enjoyed it more.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Now that I've seen it again after all these years, I can kind of see your point, @GingerPeach.   Still enjoyed it though, for the actors involved. and that "kicky" sort of Sixties' ambiance.....

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach@Oznell

I just assumed the characters were supposed to be a bit annoying! 

I thought I had seen this movie before but, if I did, I didn’t remember anything at all! 

The early sixties ambience was fun, starting with the opening credits.  Some of Lee Remick’s dresses were so cute. 

And, oh, the powder blue Lincoln convertible with the suicide doors.  

Laurence Harvey with the blonde hair was weird and, oh, how

thin and bony he looked in his swim trunks.  The blondeness and thinness reminded me of one of the guys on the animated series King of the Hill! 

After watching the movie, I’m even more anxious to read the book. 

Downloaded it on my kindle. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, @trenet, I expect the book is a cracking good read!