Honored Contributor

Re: 12 ANGRY MEN TCM 8PM ET TONIGHT 5/5

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

Funny that the basic story line was used in an episode of the Andy Griffith Show. Aunt Bee is the lone juror who believes the alleged burglar is innocent. The alleged burglar  was played by none other than Jack Nicholson. 

In the movie 12 Angry Men, the director had the jury room set get smaller as the story progresses to make the tension stronger. See if you notice that. 

@Still Stylish Lady  There have been several ripoffs.  Monk had an episode inspired by the film where Monk was the holdout juror.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

Actually there is a great triple header on TCM tonight: First Diabolique followed by 12 Angry Men at 8pm followed by Anatomy of a Murder.  I highlighted 12 Angry Men because, in the first The Fugitive our group watched with Ed Begley, I mentioned he'd been in this film and someone in our group said she'd never seen it @twinsister ?   @drizzellla ?  If you've never seen this film it is excellent with a stellar cast. 

Pearley, my parents took me to see the play 12 Angry Men. I am not sure how old I was, I guess early teens. We had seats so close to the stage. I felt pulled into the discussion. 

Yes, it is quite a movie too.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Esteemed Contributor

All in the Family: "Edith Has Jury Duty", March 1971.

Edith is the hold out not guilty vote in a murder trial.

Honored Contributor

I've seen Diabolique many times (a favorite of my father's) and won't watch the whole film but I think I'll tune in to the fabulous, diabolical ending.

Esteemed Contributor

Blue Bloods, ""Justice Served", November 2013

Danny is the lone not guilty hold out on a murder trial.

Honored Contributor

How fun! Ben and Josh Mankeweicz together! I've never seen them together!

Honored Contributor

Lots of The Fugitive guests in this film besides Ed Begley! Ed Binns, John Fiedler, Jack Klugman, was Jack Warden in the TF? He's in this...

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  - I just saw your post now and I don't think I have seen it before.   Even though I missed the first half hour I'll watch and try to figure out what is going on.

Thanks for the alert.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Actually there is a great triple header on TCM tonight: First Diabolique followed by 12 Angry Men at 8pm followed by Anatomy of a Murder.  I highlighted 12 Angry Men because, in the first The Fugitive our group watched with Ed Begley, I mentioned he'd been in this film and someone in our group said she'd never seen it @twinsister ?   @drizzellla ?  If you've never seen this film it is excellent with a stellar cast. 

One of the best movies ever made. Incredible character study. I think it should be shown to jurors prior to the court case.....seeing how easily a guilty or not guilty verdict can be reached based on so many emotions rather than fact and procedure.

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

One of the best movies ever made. Incredible character study. I think it should be shown to jurors prior to the court case.....seeing how easily a guilty or not guilty verdict can be reached based on so many emotions rather than fact and procedure.

@grandma petes  No it shouldn't be shown. As I have pointed out in a previous discussion of this film and as Josh M pointed out last night, there was juror misconduct that should have resulted in a mistrial. That is, Fonda producing his own knife which was not in evidence. BIG NO-NO!