Honored Contributor

Re: 09/25/2021 Big Brother 23 Live feed Spoilers and Updates!!!!

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@gardenman - I'm with you about Azah - yay!!!

How do you think this "racial" season will affect BB in the future?  You are so intuitive about BB I'm sure you have some opinions.  Love reading your posts and your insights into the show.

A lot will depend on the future casting. They really didn't cast many villains this year. This was a very progressive, socially conscious group of houseguests. They were more focused on getting along and not rocking the boat than playing Big Brother. The cast underwent pregame training on diversity and sensitivity. It was a cast that knew the game and knew the history of the show and wanted to stay out of trouble as much as possible. 

The most villainous houseguests this year were Travis (very handsy with Hannah and some of the other women), Derek (wanted all the women gone despite being closely allied with two of them), and Kyland who grew into a villain at the end.

There was no ED, Paul, or other classic BB villain. If you believe Derek and Xavier, they were never on board with the Cookout until after Frenchie got the boot. Both said today (maybe yesterday?) that he should have been in the final three with them. He's not a black houseguest so they weren't all Cookout all the time.

Other than when BB deliberately cast racists (Aaryn, Gina Marie, etc.) race hasn't really played a role in who won. BB has just cast bad black players. They haven't been excluded from alliances. They haven't been shunned in the house. They were just bad players. This year BB cast four good black players (Tiffany, Hannah, Xavier, and Kyland) who could have won any season, along with two of the type of black player they more typically cast in Azah and Derek, and now three of the four good players are in the jury and there's a good chance one of the two worst players could end up winning.

I'm not sure this is the type of history BB wanted to make, but it is what it is. What will a future season look like?  It'll depend on who they cast. There are enough die-hard fans of the show of every race and ethnicity to always put sixteen good players in the house. We've had Asian, Hispanic, gay, and now black winners, so maybe BB will be content to just put the best sixteen players they can find and let them play. That would be nice. If casting was color blind and just put in the best sixteen players they could find, it would be good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman - I agree, casting should be color blind.

Let's hope this season was a real lesson to BB about diversity.  I think casting should be smart & motivated people who use strategy to win and not lay around and follow the crowd.  Ethnicity should not play a part in casting.  Thanks again for your posts.

Esteemed Contributor

Since this seems to be the day everyone's talking about it here's my opinion. 

Eleven weeks ago six black players walked into the BB house, each one looking around at the other five faces and thinking "Wow! This has never happened in the entire history of the show." Their next thoughts were, even though there's only six of us, should we take the chance to stick together and possibly have the first black winner in 23 seasons? 

Imagine that if, for 22 seasons (21 years!) there had been 14 men with 2 women and suddenly there were six women in the house, do you not think those women would try for a female winner? Same could go for men. And you can't just say "well, they weren't shunned or kept from alliances so it wasn't about exclusion" because guess what? People in this house weren't shunned or kept out of alliances either. Not every person in every season was included in every alliance in any season. 

The problem was representation--21 years of less than 20% blacks. So, we can say, "well, it was unintentional"  They just cast they best players. Maybe, but intentional or not, it happened. If I unintentionally run over you with my car and kill you, you're dead whether it was done on purpose or not. 

Acknowledging that a black player hasn't won in 22 seasons is NOT racist but simply a statement of fact. Wanting to see a poc win for the first time in 22 seasons isn't about racism. It's about wanting someone who looks like they do to have a fair chance if winning FOR ONCE without 14 white people taking them out as per usual. Don't forget who was nominated WEEK ONE and how the CO worked on DX to save Kyland. It started week one! 

How about the comment not too long ago that CBS should have put a stop to it. Really? Because I'm wondering where those apathetic voices were in season 21 when we lost David (due to a comp loss) and the remaining three poc were voted out back to back to back. Were you calling on CBS to put a stop to the white people voting out every player of color? No, you weren't. Or how about when the 2 Jacks imitated David by walking like a monkey eating a banana? Where was your outrage then because I didn't read about it here. Apparently it who's being racist that makes it okay but, sorry, that doesn't fly with me. 

And while we're on it...try to remember this is a game. How many times have we heard that said? This isn't Hannah running a company as CEO saying "Sorry, but white people need not apply" and it's not  Xavier saying "I hate white people so when I represent them in court I'll be sure they get a guilty verdict." No, this is a game...a game where,  year after year, the major tenants have been lying, being devious, and backstabbing. And there ever been a year without them.

It's a very warped yardstick used to measure your morality when you're a fan of a game knowing those things are as much a part of it as Zingbot but six poc joining together to see that one of them win for once in 21 years is a problem. People make alliances and vote each other out for all kinds of reasons--you're a man, you're a woman, you're a meathead, you're a nerd. So many alliances built on so many things and not because they hate each other but because, for once, they want to take a chance to win that may never happen again. Racism?  Hardly. 

And to those who keep whining that it's racism, seriously, please stop the selective moral hypocrisy already. It's well past its sell by date. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ummmmn no it's racism and we are going to call it out. Game or not.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Ummmmn no it's racism and we are going to call it out. Game or not.

No worries, I'm fine with you getting it wrong.

Honored Contributor

No one is saying there haven't been racists in previous seasons. What there hasn't been is a group of racists forming an alliance with the sole purpose to vote out all those not of their race, so that only their race remained and one of them would be guaranteed to be the winner and another of them would be guaranteed second place. 

While black citizens are approximately 13% of the US population, BB black players were 37% this season. In previous seasons of 16 players, 2 were black, 12.5%, or 3 at 19%. 

Regular Contributor

BigD going on and on about the comps and how he can't do them.  So the comps should be made for someone overweight?  He should've signed up for Big Fat Brother.  No one made him apply for this.  

Trusted Contributor

@gardenmanGardenman called it a race based game early on and I am satisfied with that description as well as his hope that future shows are color blind with just recruiting good players going forward. 

Valued Contributor

If you're going to complain about racism, tell it to CBS not complain on here about it.  This is getting a little tiresome for me anyway. I come here because I enjoy the show.  I don't come here to argue.  You have the right to your opinion.  We get what you're saying.  I don't happen to agree because I look at it differently, but that's me.  The people on this forum can't change it.  Please complain to CBS if you must and if you really feel that way just quit watching the show.  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

No one is saying there haven't been racists in previous seasons. What there hasn't been is a group of racists forming an alliance with the sole purpose to vote out all those not of their race, so that only their race remained and one of them would be guaranteed to be the winner and another of them would be guaranteed second place. 

While black citizens are approximately 13% of the US population, BB black players were 37% this season. In previous seasons of 16 players, 2 were black, 12.5%, or 3 at 19%. 

It's really not too hard to figure out that when upwards of 80% of the house is made up of white players there's no need to consider the less than 20% a threat and, apparently, getting them out came quite naturally. I mean, no intentional racism on the part of anyone yet what a coincidence that they have been the ones voted out every year for 22 seasons. Yeah, yeah, they were such bad players after all and, sure, no one did it intentionally--it just happened that way. FOR TWENTY-ONE YEARS IN A ROW. That's quite amazing, lol.  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the population update which is so intregal to playing a game. It is refreshing however to know that with 42,640,000 blacks in the US surely CBS will be able to find 8 poc for season 24. One can at least have hope. Smiley Happy