Honored Contributor

㊗️🎍 Shōgun 2024 🎎 ㊗️

Just saw the trailer on tv.  Apparently, this new series will be coming to Hulu & FX starting February 27, 2024.

I saw the original series w/Richard Chamberlain.  By the time the series ended, I could almost speak Japanese fluently! Smiley LOL   There were no English subtitles in the trailer as everyone spoke English.   I also have the DVD.  Guess I'll watch the old version again in January 2024. 

Synopsis:  The collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne, a risk-taking English sailor who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga, a shrewd, powerful dainyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties, who must prove her value and allegiance.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ㊗️🎍 Shōgun 2024 🎎 ㊗️

" Harrison Cosmo Krikoryan Jarvis is a British actor, musician, and filmmaker. He has starred in the film Lady Macbeth, Calm with Horses, and Persuasion. He is set to star in FX's upcoming period drama mini-series Shōgun and Alto Knights. "

Esteemed Contributor

Shogun, by James Clavell is one of my all time favorite books!  I read it twice and listened once while traveling for work. 

The mini series was outstanding with Richard Chamberlain.  As @Mz iMac . there was as much Japanese as English.  It added to the production and made it more authentic. Hope FX follows suit.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Just saw the trailer on tv.  Apparently, this new series will be coming to Hulu & FX starting February 27, 2024.

I saw the original series w/Richard Chamberlain.  By the time the series ended, I could almost speak Japanese fluently! Smiley LOL   There were no English subtitles in the trailer as everyone spoke English.   I also have the DVD.  Guess I'll watch the old version again in January 2024. 

Synopsis:  The collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne, a risk-taking English sailor who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga, a shrewd, powerful dainyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties, who must prove her value and allegiance.

I remember watching it when it first aired. I was absolutely captivated by it. I did learn some Japanese as well. In fact, I've used it several times. It's a wonderful story. Richard Chamberlain was wonderful. I may just have to look for the dvd to purchase and watch again.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched Shogun and it was so interesting, plus Richard Chamberlain was great.  As much as I enjoyed it, the new version doesn't interest me.

Respected Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I watched Shogun and it was so interesting, plus Richard Chamberlain was great.  As much as I enjoyed it, the new version doesn't interest me.

I agree--you can't improve on perfection.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing this news!  I look forward to watching this series.  I did not realize this story was based on a real historical person--William Adams--yes, truth is always stranger than fiction!

Esteemed Contributor

Woo..hoo!!! This is exciting news!😁 The title of this thread drew me in; having been a HUGE fan of the original Shogun!!!👍

My dear friend, now in heaven, had a HUGE crush on Richard Chamberlain! I will watch this with her in my heart!❤

Thank you for posting because I do not watch Hulu often, and would likely have not known otherwise!!!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I saw the miniseries, then read the book. The miniseries was hard to watch at times, but was so well done.

I'm torn as to whether or not I will see the newer version. The stars in the original were perfect. I don't see how anyone else could be Toranaga but the late great Toshiro Mifune. 

Honored Contributor

Ahhh we don't get HULU.  Got a million channels here, but no HULU.  Good grief!! Let us know how well you like it after you see it.