Honored Contributor

♿︎ Disability in Movies - TCM ♿︎

Disability in the Movies - 9/23 & 9/30

Disabilities of any type can make life more challenging, and many films have been made about individuals with physical or mental limitations who have coped with these difficulties to lead full and productive lives. Movies offer a powerful medium for raising awareness of the roles played by the disabled in our communities, and some have increased public awareness and understanding. Others, unfortunately, have been exploitive and alienating, dealing in stereotypes and doing little to promote understanding.

TCM takes a look at Disability in the Movies with two nights that exemplify how Hollywood has treated the topic in the first three decades of filmmaking, plus the documentary, CinemAbility: The Art of Inclusion (2018). This overview of the subject and both nights are co-hosted by Jenni Gold, the writer/producer/director of the documentary.

Gold, who has muscular dystrophy and has used a wheelchair since the age of seven, has two BA degrees from University of Central Florida's film school and has been creating shorts, movies and TV shows for more than 25 years.

With CinemAbility, Gold offers a perceptive and sometimes humorous look at movie portrayals of disability over the years. The film is hosted by Jane Seymour, with commentary by a number of other A-list actors and filmmakers including: Ben Affleck, Adam Arkin, Peter Bogdanovich, Beau Bridges, Geena Davis, Richard Donner, Ken Howard, James Keach, William H. Macy, Garry Marshall, Marlee Matlin and Gary Sinese.

Below is the lineup of the films screening on TCM.

The Unknown (1927) is directed by Tod Browning and stars Lon Chaney, an actor celebrated for his painstaking preparations in playing disabled men. Here he plays an armless knife-thrower who is in love with carnival girl Joan Crawford. Paul Desmuke, armless in real life, collaborated with Chaney in some scenes in which Chaney's upper body and face were blended with Desmuke's feet as they manipulated objects including knives. As reflected in CinemAbility, Chaney delivers a masterful, poignant performance that was beloved by audiences of the day.

Freaks (1932) also was directed by Browning and became his most notorious film, flopping at the box office and effectively ending his career. In this case, the carnival sideshow performers had real deformities and disabilities, and audiences were shocked and alienated. In later years, Freaks remained controversial in some circles but was re-evaluated and became a cult film. One modern reviewer noted that it "manages to frighten, shock and even touch viewers in ways that contemporary viewers missed."

Bride of Frankenstein (1935), director James Whale's follow-up to his original Frankenstein (1931) film, again stars Boris Karloff as the monster. Aside from what may be the most elaborate handicap in film history--the monster's body pieced together from corpses --another character has the disability of blindness. O.P. Heggie plays an old, blind hermit who is portrayed as the most humane character in the movie; because he is not repelled by the monster's appearance, he can "see" his virtues more clearly.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) stars Charles Laughton as Quasimodo, a character with one of the most famous deformities in literature and cinema. The film, directed by William Dieterle, is based on the 1831 novel by Victor Hugo and centers on Quasimodo's conflict with the archdeacon of Notre Dame (Cedric Hardwicke) over a beautiful woman (Maureen O'Hara).

Johnny Belinda (1948) won an Oscar for Jane Wyman in the role of a deaf-mute woman who is raped and, unable to communicate what has happened, faces scandal because she has become pregnant. Jean Negulesco directed the film, based on a Broadway play which was in turn based on an actual incident on Prince Edward Island.

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) is a drama produced in the aftermath of World War II that deals with readjustment problems of returning servicemen. Among them is the character played by Harold Russell, a real-life veteran who had lost both hands during a training accident in 1944. Russell plays his role with such realism and sensitivity that he won two Academy Awards - one as Best Supporting Actor and the other an honorary award for "bringing hope and courage to his fellow veterans." The movie won seven other Oscars including Best Picture, Actor (Fredric March) and Director (William Wyler).

Johnny Belinda (1948) earned an Oscar for Jane Wyman in the role of a deaf mute who is raped and, unable to communicate what has happened, faces scandal because she has become pregnant. Jean Negulesco directed the film, based on a Broadway play which was in turn based on an actual incident on Prince Edward Island.

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968), an emotionally affecting film version of the Carson McCullers novel, features deaf-mute characters played by Oscar nominee Alan Arkin and Chuck McCann. In a small Southern town, Arkin's character reaches out to other troubled souls including a teenaged girl (Sondra Locke, also Oscar-nominated). Robert Ellis Miller directed.

Children of a Lesser God (1986), an adaptation of a play by Mark Medoff, stars an Oscar-winning Marlee Matlin, the only deaf performer so honored to date. She plays a young woman who works as a janitor at a school for the deaf and becomes romantically involved with a new teacher (William Hurt). This film version of the Mark Medoff play is directed by Randa Haines and is notable as the first movie since the 1926 silent You'd Be Surprised to feature a deaf actor in a major role.

copy/paste link--->tcm.com/this-month/article/1530597%7C0/Disability-in-the-Movies-9-23-9-30.html

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: ♿︎ Disability in Movies - TCM ♿︎

@Mz iMac Thank you so much for posting this subject.  I find it interesting and thought provoking.

I'm just beginning to become interested in how people with disabilities have been perceived and held back in this country.

I have a bad back (that's an undestatement....the pain).  But I'm lucky because even with two fake knees and 'plastic' in my neck, etc. I can still walk.

I'm a walking/talking nightmare for people who park illegally in wheelchair parking.  I have one of those things I hang from my mirror that allows me wheelchair parking.

My problem is I need a lot of room to get into my car (door must be all of the way open or I can't get in).

I can't begin to count the number of times I've gone head to head with people who OBVIOUSLY park in wheelchair when they don't have the insignia on their mirror (hanging) or license plate.  Sometimes we're talking verbal exchanges.

I was wondering if you know the young lady who is in a Broadway play?  She's the lead singer in Oklahoma.  Her name is Ali Stroker and she's an amazing singer.  She won a Tony.  I saw her acceptance speech.  She's always said she hoped she won because of her singing abilities and not because she is in a wheelchair...

I loved it when she said that.  I understand what she's saying.  She's never let that keep her from doing what SHE wanted to do.

Here's her story:https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Actress-Ali-Stroker-becomes-first-person-in-a-wheelchair...

I've said for a very long time I don't understand why they don't have people with disabilities (many don't like that word) on things like game shows (Price is Right, etc).  They could and should be on these shows.

I think if you pressed them, the people who are responsible for producing these shows would say something stupid like "insurance" or "difficulty getting on stage" or something else stupid.

That's a total cop out.  Being in a wheelchair and even existing day to day says a lot about how intelligent, determined, etc. they are.  They often have to think creatively just how to do things we all take for granted.

Anyway, I'll step down from my soap box.  Thanks for bringing this topic up.

My mind, just sttting here goes to all of the shows and places where and why it doesn't make sense that we don't see more people on TV and everywhere with various disabilities.  It doesn't just have to be wheelchairs, there are other disabilities.

Take care.  I'm not in the least surprised YOU are the one who brought this up.  I enjoy all of your posts.  I've always found them to be thought-provoking even when we disagree...I've learned a 'a little somtin'...Ha!

Respected Contributor

It is interesting to see how far Hollywood and the film industry has come in regards to inclusion of those with disabilities. I have seen some of the movies you shared and thought that in the early days the film industry tried but did not really do a good job of telling the stories of people with disabilities. 

Looking at the film industry today it is not uncommon to see actors and real people with disabilities leading normal lives and demonstrating that disabilities don't have to keep you from realizing your dreams. Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

What a great film topic to bring to our attention, @Mz iMac.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66I read about Ali Stroker in the newspaper.  I was surprised because it's rare that someone w/a disability wins anything in the "entertainment" industry.  There may be some actors that can "hide" their disability.  I have always suspected it.  The disability I suspect they are hiding is "autisim" in the Asperger's spectrum.

I do remember a deaf actress I use to see in tv movies or the big screen.  She can read lips.  Hard to tell she is actually deaf.  Her deep gutteral voice gives her away somewhat.  I think the actress name is Marlee Matlin (sp).

Use to be an actor who has Downs Syndrome.  Not sure if he is still acting.  Have not seen him for awhile.  His name escapes me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Annabellethecat66I read about Ali Stroker in the newspaper.  I was surprised because it's rare that someone w/a disability wins anything in the "entertainment" industry.  There may be some actors that can "hide" their disability.  I have always suspected it.  The disability I suspect they are hiding is "autisim" in the Asperger's spectrum.

I do remember a deaf actress I use to see in tv movies or the big screen.  She can read lips.  Hard to tell she is actually deaf.  Her deep gutteral voice gives her away somewhat.  I think the actress name is Marlee Matlin (sp).

Use to be an actor who has Downs Syndrome.  Not sure if he is still acting.  Have not seen him for awhile.  His name escapes me.

Marlee Matlin is the actress who starred in Children of a Lesser God at age 19 and won an Oscar, she has been deaf since she was 3 ears old. She also starred in a TV series called Reasonable Doubt with Mark Harmon. She was in a Seinfeld episode where she fascinated Jerry and George by her ability to read lips. Chris Burke was an actor with Downs Syndrome who starred in the TV series, Life Goes On. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's better when a great movie or story is told and one of the characters just happens to have a disability but it's not the focus. Example  would be Not ting Hill (Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts). One of the characters was a woman in a wheelchair.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   Interesting that you posted this.  I don't consider a little person as having a disability, but I was recently struck by the strong intelligent character "the imp" in Game of Thrones (recently purchased the series).  I did some research and found that Peter Drinklage has been active in theater since his Bennington College days.  In fact, he even started his own group.  He exemplifies someone who has overcome what some might think of as a physical limitation....he is impressive.

Honored Contributor

One small correction, if I may, and not meant to be snarky in any way.

Asperger's is on the autism spectrum, not the other way around. I know a wonderful young man who is very open about having Asperger's. He holds down a good job, is married and if you didn't know he has it, you would never guess.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkidsThank you for the correction.  FWIW....Unlike some, I do not consider someone correcting me as being snarky. Smiley Wink