Contributor

Getting wrinkles out of SG tops

[ Edited ]

I just received 4 Susan Graver beautiful tops. I like them very much. But they have shipping  wrinkles in them. I did already wash one of them and the wrinkles still remain.  Any suggestions how to get the shipping wrinkles out of these lovely polyester tops. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting wrinkles out of SG tops

Iron them
Esteemed Contributor

I hope you find something that works. I ordered a SG big shirt in an ivory color several years ago. The material was not liquid knit - it was a bit heavier. The shirt had deep fold wrinkles, so I washed it - wrinkles were still there so I steamed it thinking that would remove the wrinkles - no luck. I washed it again and then ironed it but never could get rid of the deep wrinkles. I finally gave up because it looked horrible....I should have sent it back after the first washing. I finally just put it in the donation bag.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same problem with a couple of her pants, a polyester/rayon/spandex mix. What finally worked was taking a wash cloth that I ran under the faucet then squeezed out the excess water which I placed on the slacks then ironed over. This took several times rewetting the washcloth and placing it on the slacks and holding the iron in place and of course also took some time, but it finally rid them of the wrinkles. 

I remember years and years and years ago how my Mom would take the washed clothing off the clothes line in the yard and sprinkle them heavily with water from a bottle that had some sort of sprinkler type top on it, put them in a plastic kind of bag and into the refrigerator till she was ready to iron them. 

Valued Contributor

I wash and iron my Susan Graver tops when I get them. I only have to iron after the first washing and the wrinkles usually are gone. Ocassionally, I have to iron after the second washing too but after that I hang to dry and they are wrinkle free! 

Esteemed Contributor

@jcc wrote:

I just received 4 Susan Graver beautiful tops. I like them very much. But they have shipping  wrinkles in them. I did already wash one of them and the wrinkles still remain.  Any suggestions how to get the shipping wrinkles out of these lovely polyester tops. Thanks

I know exactly what you mean! I've purchased several of her tops and some come very wrinkled. There was one in particular that the wrinkles just wouldn't wash out. I gave it to chairty. That was money wasted. You can't just iron 100% polyester. Plus, that defeats the purpose of "wash and wear", now doesn't it! My advice is wash them, hang on a hanger to dry and return if the wrinkles don't come out. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your kind and helpful answers. I think I will try Baylie's suggestion.  I had tried to steam it with my iron, but maybe I was too cautious. I am always so afraid with polyester. I will wash them again and iron and see if that does it. I think I will use a cloth on top of it and then hopefully from then on then I can just wash and hang. Thanks again

I just read ShaggyGirl's post again. That sounds pretty brilliant somaybe I'll try that one. I like the wet wash cloth idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@jcc, good luck - the suggestion sounds promising. What bothered me was that the wrinkles were not just normal wrinkles....they were so deep. The fact that they didn't wash out after being laundered twice was very surprising to me. Plus, I don't like having to go through so much work for an item of clothing that is supposed to be so easy to care for. That was the only piece of SG clothing I've ordered that was impossible to de-wrinkle, but it sure was maddening!

Super Contributor

It even takes forever to steam out the wrinkles.  There must be a better way to ship them.

I use my steamer on my SG items to get the deep wrinkles out that are there after shipping. After that, the wrinkles stay out. I've tried washing and ironing to get them out, but no luck. A steamer is a good investment, can be used for so many things. And it is particularly good at getting out wrinkles in the types of fabrications that Susan uses.