Super Contributor

Re: when hiring hosts pay attention to their voices (why I like Lisa)

I buy online and mute the videos. So they could all talk like Daffy Duck for all I care.

Super Contributor

The worst is a host on shophq, Lynn Schokle. She talks so fast, slurs, awful. Courtney and Albany are hard to listen to. Jane Tracy and Lisa are the best.
Honored Contributor

On 11/12/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 11/12/2014 VAbelle said:

I assume Courtney will take over PMS, but after listening to her on 11-10, her voice was giggly, nasally, and not the quality of a professional host. Perhaps she will improve with time.

The nasal, squeaky valley girl voice seems to be the norm in todays world. There are very few young women in todays society that speak normal any more. They are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I change the channel if I see Courtney. For pleasant voices I agree about Lisa being so easy to listen to and Carolyn also. For the men, Dave James had a great voice.

Contributor

I disagree. How voices sound is a personal opinion.
Trusted Contributor

On 10/12/2014 kittymomNC said:

As far as voices for TV go, Carolyn Gracie has the best next to or equal to Lisa...the tone, well-modulated, easy to listen to. I also think Sandra Bennett and Jennifer Coffey have very nice "listening" voices. Gabrielle and Amy, not so much. And sorry for the Courtney fans, I think she sounds like a teeny-bopper sometimes, or a valley girl, don't care to listen to her or watch her - she acts too little girlish and sometimes phony. I'm covering my head for the bombardment, but that's just my opinion. Maybe someday, with some additional growing up....

I agree re Courtney. She has a long way to go. Not a good voice at all. I'm surprised she's so wildly popular. I can't watch her. It does come across as phony, too. I do think that someday she will have matured enough to be a good host, but I think they have advanced her too quickly. I will not watch PM Style if Courtney takes Lisa's place. I love Lisa's voice, Carolyn Gracie's and Sharon's. Sandra has a fairly nice voice, tool Why is this such a ridiculous topic when their jobs are all about speaking?

Contributor

Albany's voice drives my crazy. I have to change the channel. AND I'M FROM THE SOUTH!!!

Also, the Keurig sales lady. I have to change the channel on that too.

Respected Contributor

On 12/4/2014 NANAH T said:

Albany's voice drives my crazy. I have to change the channel. AND I'M FROM THE SOUTH!!!

Also, the Keurig sales lady. I have to change the channel on that too.

I agree with you about Albany. She is just awful on the ears lol. Terrible speaking voice for television. Nothing about her is professional.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that the voice is a very important part of the overall presentation, along with appearance and style. The variety of voices among the hosts is amazing. You can clearly tell who has a background in radio. There are a few, I admit, with nasal or screechy vocals that make me cringe, but not enough to force me to tune out. Oddly, there is only one host I have really taken a dislike to, but her voice is fabulous. I guess there is no such thing as the perfect host to please us all.