Occasional Contributor

Re: too many of your clothing items are made in China.Anything mad in the USA?

An interesting documentary you may wish to watch regarding the textile/clothing history, is called SCHMATTA, RAGS TO RICHES.  It was originally aired on HBO about 10 years ago, and pops up every now and then.  Many of my relatives were in the textile industry in NYC, and it disappeared because of CHINA.  Not to sound political, but the history of labor export with regard to China, started with Nixon.  Companies started to manufacture off shore because of cheaper costs, unions, etc.  Years ago, it was actually cheaper to sew your own clothes, and now with fabric being so expensive, we gravitate to less expensive choices.  I buy alot of Eileen Fisher, and she does a fair amount of manufacturing here is the US. Her clothing is a different price point than what is offered on QVC, but lasts and lasts.

Trusted Contributor

@Catastrophe wrote:

I am also sick of all the items Made in China and everywhere else but the USA. We need to wake up and start buying Made in the USA even as hard as it is to find them.  Before I purchase something I stop and think how badly do I really want this.

Temptations is made in China too.  They should be making them in the USA.  I quit buying them for that reason.

-----  

What about all the countries, that buy from us? 

Should they stop buying and only buy items made in their country? 

It is a global economy, and an extremely complex issue. 

Buying made in the USA, is great, when it's a reasonable option! 

Honored Contributor

TW :  I agree.

I don't know how true this is.  Heard from someone that C. won't allow our folks to oversee the manufacturing of the products that are sent to us.

I'm only guessing that our upcoming/new engineers, chemical engineers, fabric testing technicians, etc. would appreciate the opportunity to be in C. , overseeing products to make sure that no toxic chemicals are used in the manufacturing process. 

Right now, I doubt that much, if anything, is being tested.

Keep in mind that I really don't know; not keeping up with what's happening lately.

Let's all hope for the best.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
New Contributor

We must take a stand against our enemy even if it begins here.

Trusted Contributor

Where Levi's jeans are made?

99 per cent of them are made in China and 1 per cent of them all in Japan and Italy.

There are Levis jeans that are made in US, but again, dig your pockets a little deeper as you will have to spend for one pair 178 dollars. That's their 501 line.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Super Contributor

I totally agree.  Worst of all QVC does not list where items are made.  It only says 'importet'.  I do not want products made in China.  Especially jewelry is horrible quality and usually causes allergic reactions even in gold  I want to know which country made the product I am ordering since it tells a lot about quality and sizing.

Honored Contributor

@flushingfashionista   It won't be changing any time soon.  The labor is so cheap in China and other Asian countries that the U.S. cannot compete.  It is sad because jobs were lost in the U.S.  When I was a kid, U.S. was such a strong country and there were a ton of blue collar jobs with people making good money.  Times change and not always for the good.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I would gladly pay a little more for things to have them manufactured here.  I am sick of our dependence on China.

I avoid 'made in China' because of the horrible quality.  Especially jewelry can't be trusted.  I never have issues with Itlalian gold but every time I pruchase a piece of jewelry made in China I break out in a rash.  Appliances made in China don't last. 

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

...Or, how about having threads about how other   stores are selling stuff from China.

"Wal-Mart Sells Stuff That Are Made in China!"

" Michael's Sells Stuff That Are Made in China! "

"Amazon Sells Things That Are Made in China!"

Nope, don't see those threads.

Just a guess, but maybe because this is the QVC forum??