Super Contributor

Our recyling center just reopened and I took several styrofoam containers from past orders of croissants.They no longer will recycle the "freezer" styrofoam containers. 

The closest center that will accept them is 2 hours away.  They are difficult to break up and make a mess besides. No matter how much we enjoy the food from QVC, my husband does not want to deal with any more of the styrofoam boxes. 

They do not always keep food cold  I have had several orders of thawed food, but QVC has always been gracious in dealing with that issue. Is there something else that can be used?

Respected Contributor

Re: styrofoam food containers

My recycler never accepted styrofoam, so I repurpose them. 

I had many in the same size so instead of digging out my planters which were starting to  show chips, I drilled holes in the bottom of the styrofoam container. Spray painted, then planted herbs in them. Looks nice on my deck. So far, so good.

I often use the larger tops and bottoms for holding paint and stain cans. Pour paint without worry about where it drips. Brushes have a safe clean place to rest. No worry of tipping cans over. 

Respected Contributor

Do you have a Best Friends or animal shelter in your area that would accept the boxes?  If the box is big enough, they make a feral cat shelter out of insultated foam boxes for people who shelter feral cats.

Esteemed Contributor

I took one Styrofoam box and put my kitty kibble in it, and my cats free feed from that.

It's a big kibble bowl.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   If it's an open container, beware.  Mice will discover it sooner or later.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I keep one in the back of my SUV, especially in the summer I often have things that need to stay cold until I get home.

Honored Contributor

I always put the Styrofoam food containers from QVC into the non-recyclable bin that the city picks up. I don't break them down. Even the really big ones go easily in this area's trash disposal bins.

One time when the disposal people were delivering new big bins, I asked about the Styrofoam and they indicated I didn't need to worry about breaking it down, but they do like for me to break down the cardboard boxes I put in in the recyclable bin, and I do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   If it's an open container, beware.  Mice will discover it sooner or later.

For years I have kept the kibble out in the open for my cats to free feed, and nary a single mouse.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I was keeping dog food in a heavy vinyl rolling garbage can in my garage.  I got mice in the house, and discovered mice had chewed a hole through the bottom of that garbage can.  Brought the dog food in the house and stored in a big metal can, then had to eradicate the mice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   I was keeping dog food in a heavy vinyl rolling garbage can in my garage.  I got mice in the house, and discovered mice had chewed a hole through the bottom of that garbage can.  Brought the dog food in the house and stored in a big metal can, then had to eradicate the mice.

I'm sorry that you had a problem with mice.

But in all of my years of keeping the dry cat food out in the open, I have never had a problem with mice.

Ever.