Honored Contributor

Re: sizes and fit. Can you PLEASE make all brands fit with same measurements?

Don't let the men's manufacturers off the hook.  DH is a L from LLBean and an XL from Duluth Trading.  I will say jeans with waist and inseams are pretty consistent from anyone, his favorites are Lee and Wrangler.

Trusted Contributor

@Tigee  Unfortunately there are so many different countries and manufacturing methods that it's difficult to "standardize" sizing.  36" doesn't always come out the same with a different manufacturer. You would think it would but it doesn't.  You would think machines would be precise everytime, but that's not the case.  And quality checking isn't always a given.  Different designs mean sometimes the garment needs to be cut larger, others. slimmer.  And in the end no ones body is exactly the same as another.   We may weigh the same, even have the same measurements and yet the same garment may fit different on each of us.  Our shoulders are different, arm length, where our waist sits, etc.  Some designers do better than most, but I attribute that to more the cut of the garment than anything.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danekinsjr wrote:

It can be done. Manufacturers choose not to. Only in women's sizes. It must be entertaining to mess with our psyche. I can buy a med tall for my husband from anywhere , any brand and it fits him. If they can do this for men they can certainly do it for us. But then how would they get their entertainment ? 

@Danekinsjr 

LOL ....  I'll assume your comment was tongue in cheek, and not serious.   

Men have it SO much easier to select clothing.  Given their waist, inseam, sleeve and neck measurements, you can purchase most things and they will fit.

Women have two additional issues to deal with ...First, body type.  No matter what  "standard" measurements a pear shaped woman will probably buy another size than an apple shaped woman. 

Secondly, there are many, MANY different variations of styles being offered in any given year.  Just as an example, even with careful measuring, a woman might select a different size of a palazzo pant than a basic pair of jeans.  Styles influence size for pretty much everyone.

IMO, it will always be a "trial and error" process when ordering online.  I wish more fitting rooms were open, but we're getting there ... I think.