Honored Contributor

Re: signing in question for the moderators

NickNack wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

simollie wrote:

my password is correct...I tried several times over a few weeks.  I tried a few times yesterday with no luck so it was suggested I try coming here for suggestions.  I tried again today and although I'm able to log in from my phone now, I still can't from my ipad.  1 device at a time I suppose!  Smiley Tongue

@simollie, these things can be frustrating.  I guess I'm lucky but I've never encountered any of the sign-on problems described in this thread.  (I have an iPad 3rd generation and iPhone 5, both iOS 8.4.)

It might be because I clear/delete cookies and website cache daily (sometimes several times a day).  It's good, easy "housekeeping" and wards off a myriad of problems -- have you tried that?

Also, it would help if we knew specifically what the error messages are. 

Whenever a technical problem is reported, all of us can be of more help if we know specifics about the device, the versions of software (OS and browser, for example), and the exact message seen when the problem happens.

@dooBdoo, for me it's never been an error message.  This has happened to me at least four different times.  It just takes me to a sign-in page that says something like, "Even if you've registered with us previously please sign in."  Then it won't accept the regular e-mail and password.  Sometimes it says that e-mail address is already registered.  Twice I've had to change my nickname and start all over with my # of posts.  This last time it just took me back to my 2nd NickName and # of posts that I would have had on 3/10/10.  I've been a member of this forum much longer than that.  I hope this makes sense.

Hi, @NickNack!  I see what you mean.  Sometimes it's not an actual error message...  it's just a response from the website telling you something that may or may not make sense.  That's no fun, right?

Even though I haven't encountered what you describe, you're not alone because I've seen others who describe the same thing.

What kind of device are you using?  Which browser?  Are the operating system software and browser software the current versions, and have you tried a different browser to see if it works in a different way?  Sorry for all the questions but the details can be the clues to the reasons some of us are seeing this and others aren't.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: signing in question for the moderators

Just as a point of reference, I use an iMac (OS X 10.10.5), iPad 3rd generation and iPhone 5 (iOS 8.4).  On the Mac, Firefox (v. 40.0.2), or Chrome (v. 44.0.2403.157), or Safari (v. 8.0.8).  Adobe Flash Player v. 18.0.0.232.  I keep Java disabled (note:  Java and JavaScript are 2 different things).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova