Honored Contributor

Re: newer food show hosts need more training

@Johnnyeager wrote:

"SEASONED HOSTS" !!!!

Wink-Wink @Johnnyeager 

Honored Contributor

I never see a problem with any hosts on any of the food shows.  Its food, they taste it and comment.  Its their job.

If anyone is bothered by this I would respectfully suggest that you stop watching food shows.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Carolyn and Jayne are not what I would call "delicate" eaters.  Bad, Bad, Bad idea.

Valued Contributor

I actually wonder if the hosts are trained to be somewhat vague about how things taste during food presentations. Different customers are going to have different opinions about what tastes good, so if the hosts are too specific about flavor profiles, they might reveal an ingredient or specific taste in something that might put off a customer. For example, if they are selling some sort of seasoned steak product, a host might say it’s “juicy, tender, full of flavor, and delicious,” and that description could be universally appealing, whereas “I taste a hint of garlic, coriander and pepper” might make certain customers think, “yuck, I don’t like coriander and too much garlic upsets my stomach.”

I notice a similar tactic when it comes to Harry Slatkin selling his “Homeworx” candles. When Harry appears as the vendor, he does not alllow the hosts tomever go into detail about how the candles smell. As a big candle fan, I watch a lot of reviews of candles on Youtube. It’s anazing how these candle critics say such totally different things about the exact same candle, because everyone smells things a little differently. So, the fact that the candle smells “wonderful” to the host and Harry is able to read the scent notes means he can control the message.

I guess my point is that too much information or varying opinions might complicate a sale. They may have research that says that the less specific the better when it comes to closing the deal. Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@corita wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@Mz iMac - Thanks. I also submitted this post via QVC's email feedback system; hopefully, that will be an effective second channel for sharing this information with the company and getting some results.

-----------------

@loriqvc 

I totally agree with you!!  And have stated  my observations on these forums as well as emailing QVC.  So far...no changes in food demo behavior!! 

I do think they should taste the food, but not eat a meal of it while presenting!!   I also hate that some of the hosts talk while eating the food....very off putting.   I have stated - to those who tell me to change the channel - that I watch these shows around the holidays because I don't have access to some of the unusual foods offered!!

I must be watching a different show than you as I've not seen the hosts  "eat a meal"  as you put it when presenting food items.   They take a bite and move on.

---------------------

Guess we observe different actions and that is okay...not a problem.

Trusted Contributor

I don't mind Alberti as much, but will NEVER watch Rachel host a food show since she was so proud of herself for "drinking" a jar a Germack so no one else could taste it after her. 

Respected Contributor

The only time I have ever watched a person eat was while feeding my kids when they are tiny. We don't usually stare at adults while they are eating, and in fact it would be considered rude if one did that to a stranger at a restaurant. So here we have shows that zoom in on hosts opening their mouths wide, chewing, talking, swallowing --none of which is very appealing in HD. Even the Food network programs rare!y show people doing more than preparing to take a bite. When the portions are hefty and lots of chewing is required, it's off-putting to me too. The hosts that retired were way over the top with their large mouthfuls and exaggerated facial expressions. I have no idea about the current ones because I won't watch. I only bought one food item, a Squirrel something candied nut. I tasted them before gifting and was glad I did. Awful. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Maybe we can agree that there is a problem with gourmet food shows...at least many of us see a problem.  The hosts mentioned are difficult to watch on these shows because they come across as wanting to be the star of the show when we want the food to be the star.  Hosts should blend into a presentation and not become obnoxious.  Many times they yap so long that you feel sorry for the vendor standing there like an idiot waiting for their thirty second explanation of their product.  Ray Rastelli knows his product, explains the product very well in a calm manner...he never forgets he is selling a product and not himself.  It is unclear to me why QVC continues having these few hosts on these shows when they themselves can plainly see how bad they are.  Grabbing food, squishing food, lip smacking, eye rolling, enhanced word pronunciations...all unattractive and need to end.

Honored Contributor

Carolyn is always very descriptive.  (If that's the proper word.)

Very exact in describing details of all items that she presents.

Well, have a nice day and weekend, everyone!  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

I agree with you.  If she doesn't like it, DON'T WATCH.  I like Alberti, Rachel an Antonella hosting the food shows.  They do a great job. What type of professional experise does she have as far as on air food hosting??