Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

newer food show hosts need more training

[ Edited ]

I used to really enjoy the gourmet holiday and other food shows on QVC, but the newer hosts who now regularly present these shows have made me tune out completely.  Because this is intended as constructive criticism, I am going to name names: Alberti, Rachel, and Antonella are not trained well enough in the art of appropriately presenting and describing food products, and they definitely need more coaching/education about how to be professional when handling and consuming food in front of an audience.

All three of these hosts continually talk over the vendors during product introductions, ingredient descriptions, and preparation information. This makes it difficult for potential buyers to obtain important details to support purchase decisions. To make things worse, it often seems like the hosts aren't listening to the vendors, frequently repeating or asking them to repeat something that was just explained mere seconds ago. (I realize that there are directors/producers speaking to them in their earpieces, but few to no other hosts ever have this problem during food shows.) These three also seem fairly unprepared with helpful descriptions of the foods, ingredients, and flavors; simply shouting about something being "so good" is not useful. It isn't clear whether this is a lack of research about the products in the show or a lack of knowledge or ability to share food-specific information. In addition, all three take bites that are far too large for demonstration purposes and then speak with their mouths full on a consistent basis. This is not only unprofessional, but it can also be utterly disgusting in many cases.

So, all that said, here's my suggestion: It would be great if QVC could arrange the hosting schedule so seasoned food presenters such as Mary Beth, Jayne, Pat, and Carolyn could host the shows for a couple of weeks while these three and any other new hosts who may by tabbed to do regular food show hosting (such as Courtney and Kristine, who have displayed some of the same unappealing tendencies when they've filled in) get some additional training to help them do a better job. I have confidence that this is an area where they can improve and be successful—in general, they do good work in other show categories, and they have great personalities, but their behavior is just unacceptable on food shows.

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion/request, moderators! I hope you will pass along this feedback to the appropriate team(s).

ETA: Note that none of these criticisms has anything to do with personal traits of the presenters; I am only commenting on areas where training can fix problems and am specifically not making any judgments about presentation styles or affectations.

Honored Contributor

Re: newer food show hosts need more training

@loriqvc wrote:

I used to really enjoy the gourmet holiday and other food shows on QVC, but the newer hosts who now regularly present these shows have made me tune out completely.  Because this is intended as constructive criticism, I am going to name names: Alberti, Rachel, and Antonella are not trained well enough in the art of appropriately presenting and describing food products, and they definitely need more coaching/education about how to be professional when handling and consuming food in front of an audience.

All three of these hosts continually talk over the vendors during product introductions, ingredient descriptions, and preparation information. This makes it difficult for potential buyers to obtain important details to support purchase decisions. To make things worse, it often seems like the hosts aren't listening to the vendors, frequently repeating or asking them to repeat something that was just explained mere seconds ago. (I realize that there are directors/producers speaking to them in their earpieces, but few to no other hosts ever have this problem during food shows.) These three also seem fairly unprepared with helpful descriptions of the foods, ingredients, and flavors; simply shouting about something being "so good" is not useful. It isn't clear whether this is a lack of research about the products in the show or a lack of knowledge or ability to share food-specific information. In addition, all three take bites that are far too large for demonstration purposes and then speak with their mouths full on a consistent basis. This is not only unprofessional, but it can also be utterly disgusting in many cases.

So, all that said, here's my suggestion: It would be great if QVC could arrange the hosting schedule so seasoned food presenters such as Mary Beth, Jayne, Pat, and Carolyn could host the shows for a couple of weeks while these three and any other new hosts who may by tabbed to do regular food show hosting (such as Courtney and Kristine, who have displayed some of the same unappealing tendencies when they've filled in) get some additional training to help them do a better job. I have confidence that this is an area where they can improve and be successful—in general, they do good work in other show categories, and they have great personalities, but their behavior is just unacceptable on food shows.

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion/request, moderators! I hope you will pass along this feedback to the appropriate team(s).

ETA: Note that none of these criticisms has anything to do with personal traits of the presenters; I am only commenting on areas where training can fix problems and am specifically not making any judgments about presentation styles or affectations.

Carolyn really ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 - Yes, really. Carolyn is always prepared, understands and has presented food items hundreds of times over the years, and is able to share details in a helpful and professional manner. Again, I am not commenting on anyone's hosting style or quirks; I'm simply trying to help QVC improve the food shows so they have better information and provide more appealing presentations.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@loriqvc   Thank you loriqvc for your detailed and very thorough critique of the individual "named" hosts and their foibles with food hosting.  Rachel, Alberti, Antonella and Courtney Cason are the reasons why I have not watched Gourmet Holiday programs for months now.  I won't bother to give my critique, I have done it numerous times, although you covered the problems in a very well-described critique.  I hope QVC higher ups listen. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe the higher ups should put a survey on this forum and see what everyone’s ideas are. Just to make sure this would be what most people would like to see.

Of course this is a small percentage of viewers, but would give them an idea.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@QVCkitty1 - Yes, really. Carolyn is always prepared, understands and has presented food items hundreds of times over the years, and is able to share details in a helpful and professional manner. Again, I am not commenting on anyone's hosting style or quirks; I'm simply trying to help QVC improve the food shows so they have better information and provide more appealing presentations.

@loriqvc , Agree to disagree. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I don't see why the qvc hosts need to sample the food at all.  I have never heard them say anything negative, its always how wonderful everything is.  And, everyone's taste buds are different so what they like means nothing to me.  Just present the product, give us the facts, tell us how it is shipped and how to prepare it.  Also, calorie count would be helpful. Watching hosts smack their lips and makes faces tells me they are great actors and actresses and it does not make me buy.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc 

I agree w/ @ScarletDove  who stated in part.....

"you covered the problems in a very well-described critique.  I hope QVC higher ups listen."

I would like to add that you should also "snail mail" the "higher ups" since you feel so strongly about the food shows.  This way you KNOW the PTB have "read/heard your voice/suggestions."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac - Thanks. I also submitted this post via QVC's email feedback system; hopefully, that will be an effective second channel for sharing this information with the company and getting some results.

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Mz iMac - Thanks. I also submitted this post via QVC's email feedback system; hopefully, that will be an effective second channel for sharing this information with the company and getting some results.

@loriqvc  Smart move!  Once again, thank you!