Honored Contributor

Re: do people like the hearts? i'd rather they bring back the post view counts

Chynna Blue, I post regularly on a message board that uses "thumbs up."  I like that better than the hearts and another that uses "like", I didn't know how Facebook could own such a basic component.  

I'm totally ignorant of ToGather but thanks for all your replies and help, everywhere, I've seen you over and over being helpful about this change.

Respected Contributor

I am indifferent to the hearts.  i doubt I will ever use them.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

Lori, I also post on another site that uses "thumbs up" if you find a post helpful. Once I thought about it, and saw someone else's suggestion, I agreed that it could work here, too. Didn't know it was exclusive...
I am not familiar with Facebook.
Honored Contributor

Re: do people like the hearts? or would you prefer "like" or "thumbs up" or som

It doesn't matter if it's a heart or a "like" we all know what it means. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I'm sure Facebook would have a problem with that and possibly the ability to take legal action against anyone using either the thumbs up or a "like."

Actually, YouTube is the one using "thumbs up."

A company could use a thumbs up symbol so long as the exact symbol was different from another trademark holders design for its thumb design.  (This is not legal advice, of course.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

LoriLori, when you posted this: can you just get rid of the hearts and bring back the counts for how many have read the post?  Do you just want to know how many views the entire thread has had?

On the OP post, in the bottom left corner, it shows that it is Message 1 of ___ (however many total posts in the thread), and then how many views the OP post has had.  That's the total thread views.  As you go down in the replies, it keeps the counts, but the total views go down because not as many people have read those replies

I'm not sure if that's what you're asking or not.  At first I had a problem with not being able to see the total views and couldn't figure out how those numbers were counting everything. Now we've got that figured out, but the pages that list all the titles of the threads in the particular forum do not list the total views, and that's where I would like to see it.  

I don't have any idea if this helps, but just thought I would try. Cat Very Happy

And I do like the hearts to let people know if I like or agree with their post without having to post a reply.  And I enjoy knowing someone liked or agreed with mine.  But they don't have to be hearts, as someone else suggested, they could be a thumbs up icon.  I kind of like the purpose of them. 

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I am indifferent to the hearts.  i doubt I will ever use them.

That's my thought as well.  Nor would I use anything different.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Kitty Mom, THANK YOU SO MUCH!  You gave feedback AND solved a mystery I had asked about in another forum.  I couldn't imagine how the computer could know whether someone read a post box.  Now I know.  Thanks!!!!  Makes total sense (which I often don't LOL).  

Wow, once these mysteries fall away this place is looking better and better Smiley Happy  

Esteemed Contributor

LoriLori wrote:

Kitty Mom, THANK YOU SO MUCH!  You gave feedback AND solved a mystery I had asked about in another forum.  I couldn't imagine how the computer could know whether someone read a post box.  Now I know.  Thanks!!!!  Makes total sense (which I often don't LOL).  

Wow, once these mysteries fall away this place is looking better and better Smiley Happy  

It's a funny thing, but so many of us were so frustrated for the first hour or two on Monday, because apparently we're not as "forum literate" as a lot of people.  And many of us complained, which is still allowed on the new boards, as far as I know.  Man Happy

But the complaints just turned into everyone helping everyone else.  I couldn't figure out those post and thread counts... I thought I knew, but it just wasn't making sense.  Then I connected with dooBdoo (my savior so many times!) and it all became clear.  I do wish they showed on the title listings, though.  I'm really glad I was able to help!

Honored Contributor

I agree with others that it's the same thing so why change it.    Smiley Happy