Honored Contributor

Re: Would you please ask the female hosts to stop saying "I'm not good at math...."

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Ridiculous. A lot of people aren't good at math.

What, a person can't admit they suck at math because of their gender? That's just bizarre.........

I suck at math and I don't care who knows it. I am great at many other subjects but math was never my thing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you please ask the female hosts to stop saying "I'm not good at math...."

@orshopper wrote:

Only the female hosts say this and it perpetuates the stereotype that girls are not good at math.  Since this is International Womens Day this is my request to QVC.

THanks for your consideration.  Diane

I think Dan Hughes has said the same cutesy annoying thing, and yes it's time to stop. 

If they aren't sure of the amount just ask the control room to tell them or even do the math before coming on air,

Trusted Contributor

I have to agree with you!  Every time I hear a host say this, I cringe.  It isn't funny or cute. 

Respected Contributor

They say this when they do not want to take the time from their presentation to do the math.  This is not difficult math adding and subtracting.  We are not expecting them to do an algebra calculation!  Geez figuring out how much to save on buy more, save more, or figuring out payments is easy math.  I don't think it is a female thing, its just that most hosts on the Q are female!  

Honored Contributor

I'm not good at math and perfectly happy to admit it.   I can't be good at everything.  It doesn't bother me in the least if anyone - male or female - says that.  I don't think it perpetuates anything.  I think the OP is taking PC to the extreme.  A fact is a fact. 

Respected Contributor

we all have strengths and weaknesses.  we learn to compensate for weaknesses by doing extra work, asking for help, etc  copping out is not a good strategy in my book and does in this case perpetuate an ongoing female mental block against math by making it cute to do so.

Honored Contributor

I hear hosts say this all the time on HSN and QVC. 

I'm not good at math either but for pete sake I can add, subtract, multiply, divide, etc.  Most of the time in the context in which they are saying that, they can't even do that.    

Esteemed Contributor

So they are now suppose to lie to fit YOUR agenda? Maybe they have a lot of good qualities and math is not one of them. I say let people be in control of their own thoughts words and you just do you.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

They say this when they do not want to take the time from their presentation to do the math.  This is not difficult math adding and subtracting.  We are not expecting them to do an algebra calculation!  Geez figuring out how much to save on buy more, save more, or figuring out payments is easy math.  I don't think it is a female thing, its just that most hosts on the Q are female!  

To add to your thoughts - they have a lot going on that we don't see. Producers talking in their ear, watcthing the monitor, crew talking products in and out of our view - they are mutitasking even if it doesn't appear so.  I can't blame them for not wanting to calculate something in their heads as an added thing to do simultaneously with other things.  And kudos for not wanting to mislead viewers by coming up with the wrong caculcation and announcing it.  

Honored Contributor

There really are many people, male and female that actually are not good at math. Maybe some of the hosts that use this line are being truthful. Especially on the spot, many people can't do basic math in their head, but need a pencil and paper at the least.

I agree that  encouraging girls and young women's interest in math an science is a great things, but there will always be people who aren't good at any number of given things, and not afraid to speak up and say so.