Occasional Contributor

Would you please ask the female hosts to stop saying "I'm not good at math...."

Only the female hosts say this and it perpetuates the steriotype that girls are not good at math.  Since this is International Womens Day this is my request to QVC.

THanks for your consideration.  Diane

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you please ask the female hosts to stop saying "I'm not good at math...."

Oh, no! It's "math is hard" Barbie again!

I don't watch very often and haven't noticed this. Thank you for speaking up. I work in a high-tech company and it's so important that we get more girls and women involved in STEM. There are a lot of women in middle management, planning, customer facing, and support roles, but the engineers who design the chips and get their names on the patents are mostly men.

It may seem like it's not a big deal, but words matter and it makes a difference.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you please ask the female hosts to stop saying "I'm not good at math...."

Your observation is so true. It is not adorable, cute, or a characteristic with which to identify.  I wish they would simply not make the statement; after all, they are usually talking about basic arithmetic.  Other statements that should be eliminated involve describing "body problems" continuorsly or suggesting that viewers should feel the same: e.g. "I don't like my thighs." "I don't like my hips."  

Trusted Contributor

Math is and always has been my best subject. Scored 100% on all my "regents" in high school. Perhaps the hosts who say they're not good at math just aren't. 

Earth science however......... Not good. :'( :'( 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@orshopper I watch QVC a lot and I can't recall hearing that from the female hosts.  Maybe they are not good at math.  I'm not ... I'll admit it.  I'm not sure what it has to do with IWD.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, it bugs me too!  Good point. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ridiculous. A lot of people aren't good at math.

What, a person can't admit they suck at math because of their gender? That's just bizarre.........

Honored Contributor

I've never heard anyone say they were not good at math because they are female!!  I would think more people aren't good at math than are so why would anyone take it as a stereotype?  There are more female hosts also than males.

Respected Contributor

a visit from Danica McKellar with her pro-math books is needed. she graduated summa in Math from UCLA.  

Honored Contributor

I work pt in customer service at a grocery store.  The other night, I was training a young woman.  She tried paging someone but spoke so softly that no one could hear her.  I told her "be that strong powerful woman that is you" and to talk louder.  She's nervous but then listened to how I paged and got a little better as the night went on.  She'll be ok once she gets over her nerves.