Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why doesn't Q take Regular PayPal?

@KYToby wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

How did you find the forums if you don't shop the q?  I shopped here 12 years before I found the forums.  LOL

I like PayPal and use it when it's offered.

@GCR18 On the front page of the Q at the bottom. I've known and been on the forums on and off for years.  Way back when the Tova issue started.  The forums aren't new to me.

I used to purchase here (bought plenty from here) years ago.  I stopped shopping here because they don't take pay pal. I now have Pay Pal and use it extensively (preferred).  I'm trying to minimize my use of passwords.  Every place I shop now, offers Pay Pal (including HSN, Evine and JTV).  I don't want my credit card information all over the net when I have pay pal.

Nordstrom's

Bloomingdale's

Macy's

Dillards

Since Pay Pal is so widely accepted, I'm at a loss for why only Pay Pal Credit is the only method allowed on the Q.

PayPal is no more secure than using your credit/debit card on a site.  In fact, it may even be less secure.

If your debit/credit card information were obtained by hackers, you would be out money temporarily, but the bank would reimburse you for the charges (as this is part of the user agreement with the credit card companies and branded debit cards).  If someone were to hack your checking account information (used by PayPal), your account could conceivably be emptied, and you may have absolutely no recourse.

The only reason to opt for PayPal over a card or sending in a check (which QVC allows) is convenience.  That's fine, but do not believe (and preach) that you are in any way more secure by doing this.

@KYToby I beg to differ.  I shop online a lot.  When I say a lot, I mean for the vast majority of my items.  Even food.  I have been caught up in fraud problems when Home Depot was hacked and when another large company I deal with was hacked.  My bank was on top of the Home Depot fraud (as I was compromised) but not the other fraud.  I'm not saying it's safer, just easier to track down what info is out there.  That's my preference.

All I'm asking is if the Q already uses a form of Pay Pal, why not use the other?

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm sure merchants have to pay a fee to use PayPal.   With all the credit cards Q takes,  PayPal hardly seems necessary. 

It's amusing... We've got posters who swear the wouldn't touch PayPal with a ten foot pole; others won't shop without it.   Y'all ought to get together and duke it out. 

@Kachina624, that's not necessary.  I can still shop at the places who accept Pay Pal and forget about the Q all together.  I just thought common sense would hold that if they take Pay Pal, they should take all of it.  Guess my common sense reasoning doesn't amount to much for some.

They'll even take a check but not Pay Pal? 

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

A simple answer why....QVC is cheap. They never offer anything extra to the consumer.  It is called greed when everyone else offers PayPal, coupons, discounts and QVC never does. 

@SeaMaiden, I guess that's about right. You hit the nail on the head.  If they have to pay percentages for using credit cards (which everyone takes) then what's the difference with paying for Pay Pal's fees?  None.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

I will not shop here because you do not offer check out with Pay Pal.  Get on the ball.  Many many places use Pay pal.  I see you do allow Pay Pal Credit but what's wrong with letting people purchase with Pay Pal?

@itiswhatitis

Perhaps because paypal isn't an actual bank or credit card account (with cash or a credit line), but merely a mechanism to access them.  

Example ---  I would guess someone could buy a bunch of stuff on easy pay and make the first payment.   They could then close or change those accounts, not touching the paypal portion and for the next months deductions .... nothing would go through.  They need to protect against fraud any way possible.   Just my speculation here.

Truth is, paypal isn't really holding you back from shopping on QVC.    If there's something here that you really want, you'll buy it.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis

Think about this from the seller's point of view or PayPal's viewpoint.

Ebay transactions cost you extra because of PayPal's percentage.

For each thing you do with PayPal (it stores your cc info and that's nice). But PayPal is a business. They don't perform services for free.

The seller's account is charged a PP % 

Let's say  refund is due from PP... the seller is charged another % for this, too.

So when YOU the buyer use PP, the seller (i.e. Nordstrom/Macy's) incur a charge -- a percentage of your purchase transaction.

So, lets assume that when QVC offers PayPal credit (6 months to pay off large purchase amounts) there is profit for QVC and a reason it is enticing for businesses to use PP credit instead of PP other services.

Is this very clear? I just got to wondering one day and went into my PayPal acct. When I delved into the transactions deeper, I understood better the transaction fees.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Interesting.HSN takes it, and all merchants charge fees for credit cards and any payment option. Paypal is no higher, but maybe it is for them. Maybe they don't think it is secure enough.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

I will not shop here because you do not offer check out with Pay Pal.  Get on the ball.  Many many places use Pay pal.  I see you do allow Pay Pal Credit but what's wrong with letting people purchase with Pay Pal?

@itiswhatitis

Perhaps because paypal isn't an actual bank or credit card account (with cash or a credit line), but merely a mechanism to access them.  

Example ---  I would guess someone could buy a bunch of stuff on easy pay and make the first payment.   They could then close or change those accounts, not touching the paypal portion and for the next months deductions .... nothing would go through.  They need to protect against fraud any way possible.   Just my speculation here.

Truth is, paypal isn't really holding you back from shopping on QVC.    If there's something here that you really want, you'll buy it.

And despite all that ~ even HSN knows that Pay Pal is not a bank.  Macy's knows, Nordstrom's knows.  Nordies of course has it's own credit card and debit card but they still take Pay Pal.  None of what you're espousing is a sound reason for why the Q won't accept Pay Pal @Tinkrbl44.  It just doesn't make any sense.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

Think about this from the seller's point of view or PayPal's viewpoint.

Ebay transactions cost you extra because of PayPal's percentage.

For each thing you do with PayPal (it stores your cc info and that's nice). But PayPal is a business. They don't perform services for free.

The seller's account is charged a PP % 

Let's say  refund is due from PP... the seller is charged another % for this, too.

So when YOU the buyer use PP, the seller (i.e. Nordstrom/Macy's) incur a charge -- a percentage of your purchase transaction.

So, lets assume that when QVC offers PayPal credit (6 months to pay off large purchase amounts) there is profit for QVC and a reason it is enticing for businesses to use PP credit instead of PP other services.

Is this very clear? I just got to wondering one day and went into my PayPal acct. When I delved into the transactions deeper, I understood better the transaction fees.

@LTT1 it doesn't matter.  Consumer or Merchant.  Wonder what the Q won't do that the rest will when it comes to Pay Pal?  Nieman Marcus, Bloomingdale's and more even take Pay Pal. 

Bottom line is I think the Q just doesn't care.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@wildlifewitch wrote:

Interesting.HSN takes it, and all merchants charge fees for credit cards and any payment option. Paypal is no higher, but maybe it is for them. Maybe they don't think it is secure enough.

Why would so many other companies take it if it wasn't secure?  JTV, Evine, HSN?  Only not too secure for the Q?  Oh maybe @wildlifewitch.

Granted, the Q can do what they want.  I just would like to understand the reasoning behind their decision.  Pay Pal is good enough for everyone else except the Q.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis@wildlifewitch

Maybe

I still think that the PayPal company ends up costing a merchant more somehow and some way.

Remember the good ol' days when we got a discount for paying in cash (gas station)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~