Super Contributor

Re: Why do XXS and 5 x. Pay the same price for clothing?

Even 20 years ago there were far fewer over weight people. Lifestyle and eathing habits have changed a lot over the years and there are far more over weight people than there used to be in this country. I have no idea what the ratio is but I would guess that there a are as many 2x and above as there are those who wear smaller sizes. The industry has had to change in a lot of ways. It did used to be that over weight people had to go to an entirely different section of the store of even a different store. Now being overweight is much more common and some people have actually learned to accept the fact of obesity. I won't go into the health factors here but at least over weight people can find clothing for prices much as everyone else pays. I see nothing to complain about.

Trusted Contributor

I think you lost weight and gained a mean gene.  What a horrible thing to complain about.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Exactly. You pay more for a larger package of meat, larger set of sheets, the list goes on. Why should smaller sized women have to absorb the cost for the larger sizes? This post doesn’t have anything to do with being mean, it’s just factual
Honored Contributor

@kitpach wrote:

Thank you. I am just asking a question. I was made fun of for being fat. The issue is about fabric and labor costs for clothing. 

Because you were once heavy, you should know that a comment like this is always fat bashing.  I used to be 120 pounds overweight and cringed when I read your post and many of the responses.

The bulk of the cost of clothing is labor, shipping, machines, design, and markup by retailers.  Fabric is a much smaller cost factor.

Honored Contributor

This same price philosophy is one of the reasons I shop at QVC.  I used to be an LL Bean and Eddie Bauer buyer.  When I went into plus sizes I would get so aggravated at the extra $5.00 they charged.  My size used the same amount of material as a men's XL.  I just stopped shopping in those places.  There are women's catalogs that do the same thing, a pox on them also.

Super Contributor

On the opposite side, most sheet sets offered on QVC are the same price for twin or king and there's a huge difference in the amount of fabric used!  Mostly we are paying for the labor involved, not so much the fabric 

Esteemed Contributor

It's fine the way it is. All I can think about is all of the returns. Some woman would be trying to squeeze themselves into a smaller size due to it being less of a cost. 

Let it go. 

Congratulations on your weight loss. 

Frequent Contributor

I have always been on the smaller size. I remember when small sizes, petites, were charged MORE. Now, I pay the same, for the most part. I realize making clothes in so many sizes requires more equipment, larger plants, etc., and you sell free in the sizes on either end of the size chart. However, we Now, in today’s larger population and with more disposable income, have so many people purchasing in these sizes that it is now more profitable. If ya all about profit and loss, which is the basis for a business to be feasible. It is economics. Period. That is how it should be.
Respected Contributor

I am not huge, but I think it's great that clothing is priced so fairly!