Valued Contributor

Re: Why do XXS and 5 x. Pay the same price for clothing?

I am a larger size & I sincerely am glad that QVC offers the same price for different sizes.I see stores that charge more especially in catalogs & they just don't get my business.

I don't understand why this bothers you now.
I have lost weight before but wouldn't bad mouth cause I know I can gain it back plus thats not who I am.Would be same person inside.
Occasional Contributor

You are wrong , fabric is also a major cost ,as well as labor .  I decided to research this issue and the ANSWER  to the question is: Some stores charge more for sizes above XL.  Most stores do not , the small sizes make up the cost of the larger sizes. I am not FAT bashing. I was once made fun of for being fat. And I did NOT mind paying more for my clothing at that time , I understood more fabric , more cost. To me it just seemed  fair. 

Occasional Contributor

Actually it DOES cost more for extra fabric. I decided to research this question , the smaller sizes make up the cost of the larger  sizes. 

Occasional Contributor

Gold is sold by the ounce. It is not always sold for the same price in a larger size. 

Occasional Contributor

Thank you

Occasional Contributor

Thank you. I am just asking a question. I was made fun of for being fat. The issue is about fabric and labor costs for clothing. 

Occasional Contributor

Most stores sell Beds and sheets of different sizes for  different prices. So, if you need a bigger  bed and pay more ,is that discrimination?  More fabric, more labor, higher cost. 

Occasional Contributor

Some stores charge different prices for different size sheets. Kohl's, jc penny, macys

Honored Contributor

Something to consider.  It might not actually take more fabric to make the larger sizes.  If they are all being cut from the same width of fabric, they might not be able to use the leftover fabric to make another piece.  So, the smaller sizes would actually waste more fabric than the larger sizes.  The leftover fabric could be used for facings or things like belt loops, although I doubt they would even bother in mass production.  

For home sewing, patterns are laid out to conserve fabric, where a small size might be cut on folded fabric to get two pieces whereas a large size might require cutting two separate pieces.  But, for mass production I would expect it to be more about speed than about conserving the fabric.  

Honored Contributor

The type of fabric is a major cost, that's why you hear designers boast about using certain types of fabrics and explain how that makes the garment feel like "Money!" as Kim Gravel likes to remind everyone.  

My comment was about the distinction of using the UOM (unit of measure), whether in yards or meters  --  as the determining factor in the final retail price.  In the case where all fabric used is the same kind, the amount of fabric in one size versus another is the least contributor in the final retail price (different from the manufacturer cost).  The retailer has already decided on their profit margin, taking into considerationall sizes, for the garment.

Of course, some retailers still charge more for larger sizes.  They do, because they can.  Are consumers still paying more at some retailers for larger sizes in clothes? Of course they are, because they either don't know they don't have to, or they prefer that retailer's styles, fit, ambiance of shopping, etc., and pay it.