Occasional Contributor

Why do XXS and 5 x. Pay the same price for clothing?

Years ago I had a weight issue .At that time a size 18 or 20.  Size charts are different today.  Well, I PAID MORE for larger sizes. More fabric used , higher price.  After losing 70 lbs , and keeping it off, with weight watchers , I am a small, or medium , depending on the designer. Now, that size 3X - 5X is being offered , it seems unfair to charge the same price for all sizes.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do XXS and 5 x. Pay the same price for clothing?

i think it is fine......it is all a part of good business sense.

for gold or silver they charge the same amount if the ring is a size 5 or size 10.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Good grief.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all, congratulations, on losing the weight, and even more importantly. Maintaining the loss.  I'm an RD, so working with people, with weight issues, is a huge part, of what I do. I know how very hard, it can be.  

Secondly, as someone, who once struggled with weight, and I'm guessing, with finding attractive, stylish, and affordable clothes, who probably hated paying more, why, do you now, seem to embrace the idea, of penalizing a person, for being larger? 

I understand, that more fabric, has to be used, to make larger sizes, but, more fabric has to be used, to make my size 8 or 10 than has to be used, to make a size 2.  More fabric has to be used to make a regular or tall, than a petite. 

The fashion industry, has, for the most part, realized, that inclusive sizing, is actually a wiser move, for them financially.  

I personally applaud them, for offering more options, not only for larger women, but, also, for that tiny petite size zero. 

Trusted Contributor

1. Congrats on your weight loss success.  However, in the current state of the world, your comments sound a bit mean.   
Trusted Contributor

@kitpach  Simple...it would be called discrimination.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Yesterday's news, and I remember it very clearly. In the grand scheme of things, much ado about little (or big).

Frequent Contributor

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?    I depend on QVC for shopping  for a variety of products.  I am disabled and they have a better selection of clothes.  They keep me company as well.  Now that you have lost your weight, it seems you want those who have not lost their weight to pay more.   I have lost over 100 pounds and I don't think the way you do  I am also glad they are offering 4x and 5x.   Women of all sizes like to look good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitpach  when you paid more at those other retailers when you were a larger size, how did that make you feel? Did it feel good, inclusive, included in their business model to sell to all sizes???

It seems a bit mean spirited to complain about it now that you are a smaller size. 

You have to realize the retail pricing models build in the cost for all sizes.  The price we see for a size small is not strictly what it costs to manufacture a size small.  Manufacturer costs are very different from retail pricing -- the pricing models/calculations are not the same at all.  Fabric and other materials are a very small part of a retailer's price for a garment.  

Plus, the retail price of the garment is built into what it costs to manufacture, distribute/ship, market, develop, etc. the entire spectrum of sizes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitpach wrote:

Years ago I had a weight issue .At that time a size 18 or 20.  Size charts are different today.  Well, I PAID MORE for larger sizes. More fabric used , higher price.  After losing 70 lbs , and keeping it off, with weight watchers , I am a small, or medium , depending on the designer. Now, that size 3X - 5X is being offered , it seems unfair to charge the same price for all sizes.  

This sounds like fat bashing to me.  As someone who used to be 120 pounds overweight, I'm very sensitive to comments like this. There is never a way to say something like this and have it come across well or sound any way but mean.  

The same workmanship and labor goes into every size.  That's the most expensive part of clothing, not the cloth used.