Regular Contributor

Re: Why describe so much in the negative?

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeachwrote:

Here's what I mean:

QVC hosts have the habit of, or maybe they were taught to, describe garments by touting the fact that these clothes are amazing because they have the ability to hide all the horrors on our bodies.

Doesn't this run contrary to supporting someone's confidence and self-esteem?  

It seems to me descriptions of garments might be just as effective if the positive features of the garment, such as good hand feel, or well-cut, or flattering color, were emphasized.  In addition (and I know they do this sometimes), talk about how a feature emphasizes something nice about the wearer.  

I am tired of hearing, nonstop, how we are all supposed to have "lumps and bumps."  And then you hear or see that phrase repeated by callers and online reviewers who seem to have picked up that thought as if it's totally normal.  It's reallly not healthy to accentuate the negative so constantly.  

You have a very good point here, and I have heard these comments from time to time.

Decades ago I figured out what looked good on me and have keep to that style, even through some weight gain. I stay away from "trends" because  they usually do not look good on me, and next season... they are out of style.  And can be a BIG waste of my money.

And as for "bat wings" and "crepey" skin, well men of a certain age get that too!  When was the last time you saw Tom Selleck in a Magnum P.I.  tank top & short shorts?  You think a man would buy clothes described to "hide your lumps and bumps?"Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

I don't find it negative.  The Q sells a wide variety of sizes.  What would they say.  If you're a little fluffy, fluffy or extra fluffy, this will camouflage your fluff.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18wrote:

I don't find it negative.  The Q sells a wide variety of sizes.  What would they say.  If you're a little fluffy, fluffy or extra fluffy, this will camouflage your fluff.  

Hi @GCR18

My point is they don't need to mention it at all.  No matter what size anyone is, that person can pretty much figure it out for herself (or himself, if they ever start selling men's garments).

They can just as easily focus on what the clothes do to highlight or accent good features. 

Yes, they do some of that.  They're always talking about how collarbones and ankles most often look good.  And I am aware they are selling to an extremely wide range of body types in the audience.

Dove seems to have figured it out.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@MoodeeFanwrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

Here's what I mean:

QVC hosts have the habit of, or maybe they were taught to, describe garments by touting the fact that these clothes are amazing because they have the ability to hide all the horrors on our bodies.

It seems to me descriptions of garments might be just as effective if the positive features of the garment, such as good hand feel, or well-cut, or flattering color, were emphasized.  In addition (and I know they do this sometimes), talk about how a feature emphasizes something nice about the wearer.  

I am tired of hearing, nonstop, how we are all supposed to have "lumps and bumps."  And then you hear or see that phrase repeated by callers and online reviewers who seem to have picked up that thought as if it's totally normal.  It's reallly not healthy to accentuate the negative so constantly.  

You have a very good point here, and I have heard these comments from time to time.

Decades ago I figured out what looked good on me and have keep to that style, even through some weight gain. I stay away from "trends" because  they usually do not look good on me, and next season... they are out of style.  And can be a BIG waste of my money.

And as for "bat wings" and "crepey" skin, well men of a certain age get that too!  When was the last time you saw Tom Selleck in a Magnum P.I.  tank top & short shorts?  You think a man would by clothes described to "hide your lumps and bumps?"Smiley Surprised

@MoodeeFan  Maybe they should!  There are some men that I prefer not to see their lumps, bumps, rolls, and heavy body hair (at the beach for example) but many never give it a second thought....not an attractive picture and I for one think a little coverage would go a long way for both men & woman!

Honored Contributor

Homegirl, I understand you.  It doesn't bother me if they say something or not.  I'll take whatever the host or vendor has to share about the item.

Honored Contributor

Very few human bodies are 'perfect'. People believe that in order to be accepted and fit in in society, they need to be as close to that as possible.

So, if clothing can be described/created to give the illusion that a person has more/less than is really there, that it will hide/enhance what one likes or does not about their body, then many people will be willing to make a purchase. 

I don't see a problem whatsoever with people wanting to enhance their look with their clothing and it's fit. And hosts/vendors describing it and how it is designed to do that is no different to me, than when they are showing/telling how the new bed set will transform/brighten your bedroom, or how the magic face cream will lessen the lines.

There are customers looking to achieve all those things, so the sales person is simply showing them a product that will do it.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeartwrote:

@SeaMaidenwrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

Here's what I mean:

@GingerPeach  ITA!   I think they are trying to make people feel better.... but what it does is  to make people think that being out of shape and overweight is OK.... JUST COVER IT ALL UP!

I am also tired of hearing about covering up the chicken wings and the bits and pieces.... the belly fat... the muffin top  and the worse is  calling    " FAT" CURVES instead of just sayin what it all is.... fat out of shape and overweight.  

It's comments like yours that make women feel they have to cover up and hide flaws.  Less judgment and a little acceptance of others just the way they are would make this a much better world.

I'd like to remind some people here that some 'fat, out of shape and overweight' people are just that.....and through no fault of their own, nor can they change much of it. I have had family members that disease and medication made them look the way they do, and the only time it will change for them is when they die. 

And for some people, the genetic traits that make them look like they do (very tall, very short, super thin no matter what they do, deformed by disease etc.) cannot be changed to any extent, and things like certain clothing styles, help them to minimize or maximize the things they wish to change, but can't. 

I get really sick of the pompous people on here who assume that it is still ok to body shame.

Honored Contributor

There's a world of difference between saying a garment will make you look sleeker or slimmer or trimmer or whatever word for better-looking one would like to choose than to say a garment hides all your flaws.  

This discussion was not started to say descriptions should not mention enhancing one's features.  That is exactly what garments should do!

My objection is to the way we are instructed that every "lump and bump" is necessarily a flaw and must be hidden from the world.  

I am not disputing that people want to feel better in their clothes.   I am saying there is a positive way to point it out and there is a negative way to point it out.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

There's a world of difference between saying a garment will make you look sleeker or slimmer or trimmer or whatever word for better-looking one would like to choose than to say a garment hides all your flaws.  

This discussion was not started to say descriptions should not mention enhancing one's features.  That is exactly what garments should do!

My objection is to the way we are instructed that every "lump and bump" is necessarily a flaw and must be hidden from the world.  

I am not disputing that people want to feel better in their clothes.   I am saying there is a positive way to point it out and there is a negative way to point it out.

I understand what you are saying and I agree.  Heart  Finding some "positive" phrases to describe the item would just be nicer.  Smiley Happy