Honored Contributor

Re: Why are all clothing products synthetic?

I just hate the way clothes are , cheap material, lousy craftsman ship, thin material.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I do love a good wool coat. Much of it today is a "wool blend". I also don't like really thin material. I do remember when clothing lasted a lot longer!

Super Contributor

The buyers have very little to do with the choice of materials used in clothing these days, it is solely the maker who determines that. The cost of doing business has gone up and natural fibers are expensive. They make the choice of blending fibers in order to stay in business. If they continue to use natural fibers the cost would be high and you would be complaining about the cost. One day things will get back to natural fibers but it will not be soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@Othereeeen

Your post on cotton clothing reminded me of handbags. I have three Coach bags from forever ago. They are soft, no lining and beautiful thick leather. I still use them from time to time.

There is no comparison to what is produced today.

Honored Contributor

@ellietooYou ought to be able to figure that out by pricing wool and leather coats at a very nice clothing store. It'll have to be a high end store because the prices will be so high, way beyond the price point at which QVC could sell a coat. Store selling cheaper quality won't have wool or leather.

Both wool fiber and leather have soared in price. The price of cotton is also up....just look at the price of denim jeans compared to a couple years ago.

Pollution can be controlled if the polluter has the incentive to do so.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I remember the thread here where someone ridiculed the price of the 100% cotton pajamas going for around $75.

Respected Contributor

When QVC offered leather clothing, people complained that they were selling real leather.

Honored Contributor

Synthetics are cheaper.  That seems to be what it's mostly about in today's world.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

People wanted to stop ironing.  That was one factor.One advantage of natural fibers is that they are very strong and durable, absorbent and colors are more saturated  Natural fibers are wool, cotton, silk and jute (Jute is a plant that carpets and rugs were once made from). Natural fibers are either animal based or plant based. The hostility of Organizations like PETA destroyed the animal based industry. Since most people still eat animals, so the skins of animals now are destroyed instead of used to make clothes & shoes..Although many people object to fur, they still wear leather shoes. Vegan leather is made from wood pulp and barks of trees. So if you have vegan leather, you're wearing wood. Synthetic "fur" looks like the real thing, but not remotely as warm. Synthetic fibers last forever. And many of them never degrade. Some countries still wear real fur because of geography. None of the animals are luxury fur, but for warmth like fox, rabbit, bears, etc. Russia and Nordic countries,  Also some animals rights groups are against wearing wool.

Honored Contributor

For me, most synthetics are like wearing a plastic bag. They don't breathe and hold in too much heat, even in our 30 degrees-below-zero winter weather.