Honored Contributor

Re: What's QVC's big deal with pumpkin picking?

I don't get dressed in any certain way to get pumpkins. I go to any of the local farms because I like different kind and colors of pumpkins. Orange, white, blue, there are some beautiful ones.

I make pretty displays by the front door and in the front yard. No special dres required.

Esteemed Contributor

Whenever I hear a QVC host say  "pumpkin picking", I always assume they mean the start of Autumn season.  Here in my Southwest, there is no pumpkin picking or growing...it is just too warm all the way through November!  People pick their pumpkins at the grocery store!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, a sales tactic... I keep thinking about the "great pumpkin Charlie Brown" cartoon.Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

While pumpkin and apple picking can be fun fall activities along with a hayride,  Neither require a special outfit to participate in which QVC always seems to make a big deal about.  Especially for those "busy moms."  If you follow QVC and its hosts, you'd have an outfit everything you do like picking up the mail, running errands, lunching with friends etc.

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

This thread goes to show that people will complain about anything, even something fun.  What's a good name for the Halloween equivalent of Scrooge?

For me, picking out a pumpkin is a bigger deal than picking out a Christmas tree, since I don't get a Christmas tree or celebrate Christmas at all.  Not everyone in this country does, yet QVC makes a big deal out of the trees they sell also.  Just pass it on by, but don't begrudge it to the people who do enjoy it. 

@Pearlee wrote:

This thread goes to show that people will complain about anything, even something fun.  What's a good name for the Halloween equivalent of Scrooge?

For me, picking out a pumpkin is a bigger deal than picking out a Christmas tree, since I don't get a Christmas tree or celebrate Christmas at all.  Not everyone in this country does, yet QVC makes a big deal out of the trees they sell also.  Just pass it on by, but don't begrudge it to the people who do enjoy it. 

@Pearly- I don't think anyone was out to dismiss seasonal fun or traditions.I just think some fun was being poked at QVC hosts selling a specific look to wear to participate in Fall activities. Which they also do for every monthly celebration. Just fun, no ghouly gloom.

Honored Contributor

I went on a Fall day trip with two friends and one had a beautiful off white sweatshirt from QVC with a small scarecrow and pumpkin on it.  That was the perfect top, and yes, we did stop at a farm market to pick a pumpkin and buy other produce.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I can see right through them, trying to create a mental association between clothes/shoes and warm family activities! I get my pumpkins at Whole Foods, though. I bake my pies from scratch, and whatever they (or Walmart) carry is good enough. We do make a HUGE deal every year out of apple picking. It's a whole day operation that involves a gathering of family members, travelling to apple country, eating out, tasting fresh cider, and trying to catch the last good tomatoes. For that I will pick out a QVC outfit. Smiley Very Happy
Valued Contributor

We sometimes go to a pumpkin patch, but nobody there is in anything but jeans and sneakers. I couldn't imagine getting dressed up in high heeled boots, skinny pants, Obi belt and jacket with scarf to pick it out. I would probably get looks for being out of place and definitely wouldn't feel like my dreamy day of picking that pumpkin. Ha ha

Super Contributor

Once again its QVC's way of selling a lifestyle.  I would love to go pumpkin picking, but its not an option where I live.  At least its an improvement on 'Madison Ave'!!  Gary from Denim & Co used the term this morning, so it seems no-one at QVC is exempt from talking this way.  I live in CA, so Madison Ave isn't an option.  There are other great places to shop across the USA, but I think QVC hosts, and Gary, think they are impressing us.  I'm not!  Especially when he's selling D&C!!

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

In my area of the country, pumpkin farms and pumpkin picking IS a big deal.  It's a time for family fun that not only includes picking pumpkins, but hay rides, corn mazes, pumpkin painting contests, pumpkin chucking contests and the list goes on and on.

The last place I look to buy my pumpkins is in my grocery store.

We didn't have pumpkin patches like that where I'm from, but where I grew up, families would go on day trips to go apple picking or cut down a fresh Christmas tree. They were family traditions that went back for many years. Traditions and happy memories can sell products.

I think there are a lot of people who have such traditions and I think there are a lot of people who wish they did. Talking about pumpkin picking is like putting a Norman Rockwell painting on the magazine cover - you may not live like that, but may wish you did. The desire to live a life you don't also sells product.

And QVC has one goal - sell product.