Respected Contributor

Re: What's QVC's big deal with pumpkin picking?

This topic makes me laugh!  The host or vendor always feel the need to tell us where we should wear the item they are selling; as if we cannot figure it out.  Because of the upcoming fall season they are zeroing in on pumpkin picking.  In the spring they suggest we wear certain items for bridal showers, weddings, etc.  Just part of the sales pitch.  Susan Graver suggests where to wear her clothes more than any other vendor.  Tired of hearing the same old pitch!

Esteemed Contributor

"Busy moms" need specialized outfits.  Must be prepared for apple picking, pumpkin picking, running to get the mail etc.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay LOL I like that her hair color matches the pumpkins. 

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper and whenever I hear them say that I hear the voices of Clinton & Stacy on "what not to wear"!

LOL, not that I feel the need to dress up to go to the grocery store but most of the time if I am going to be "out in public" and not home doing chores, I do try and at least look, as my mother would have said, decent.  That may include mukluks as my footwear depending on the time of the year but I have clothes that I could easily wear "pumpkin picking" or going to the orchard or on a hayride - all w/o it being a special outfit.

I get that it is all a sales pitch, after all, that's what they pay them to do.  Of course I'd like it if they would spend a bit more time actually talking about the product, sizing, etc rather than talking about where I'd wear it.

Respected Contributor

I agree completely with GinaV24. Wise words!

Honored Contributor

When Trader Joe's starts their limited-time pumpkin products in late Sept-early Oct to early December, I'm there. I buy multiples of what I love because when the pumpkin stuff sells out it doesn't come back until next year.

Pumpkin Spice coffee I can drink year-round. Last year their pumpkin kringle sold out - something like $8-9 to what was QVC charging for the same item from the same area, $40? Pumpkin bread pudding, waffles, pancake mix besides the usuals. I love it!

Picking pumpkins? Non-event for me. No children or grandchildren. No door-to-door trick-or-treating in the urban jungle. In the city, other peoples' pumpkins are freebies for smart-a** kids to smash & trash.

Love the whole "harvest time" Thing in general, though. There is a corn maze some miles away, U-pick orchards, hot cider, etc. That, I can get into, but alas, the cheerful carving of pumpkins you were able to leave unmolested on the front porch has receded into the mists of memory.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

For anyone in Michigan, please visit Johnsons pumpkin farm near Saginaw. There is a large petting zoo, fun displays for pics, kids activities including pony rides, farm fresh produce, crafts, and the BEST corn maze I've ever seen!  There's also fresh apple cider and fresh made donuts (there is nothing better than a donut fresh from the fryer).  And, best of all there is a trebuchet (giant pumpkin launcher- sometimes it flies for half a mile)  We no longer live in the area, but still try to go once per season. It is definitely worth the trip!

Respected Contributor

I have no idea what the selling point of pumpkin picking is. I agree I guess, that it is just "setting the mood" as someone else suggested. I used to go my local nursery and put my daughter in a wagon and we would go thru the pumpkin piles until we found the perfect ones. Then, with my son we started going to a smaller town with an open air vegetable market and go through their many piles and come home with a hay bale, assorted sized pumpkins and gourds and Indian corn. (I was into decorating more by then!).  It must be nice to actually wear a cuddly sweater or flannel shirts and boots to pick pumpkins - we always just wore short sleeved tees and sneakers because it was just starting to get away from the summer heat here in early October. So, happy pumpkin picking - no matter where you live, where you shop, or what you where!! 🍁🎃🍂

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

My local farmer's market just posted this on Facebook and it reminded me of this thread:

Recently, an article like the following one came across my screen. Kind of hilarious that someone took the time to put together pictures of how we should dress stylishly at the Market. We don't care how you are dressed - casual, cute, or professional - so long as you are dressed and join us for a great Market!!!

So, in the spirit of the thing, I declare tomorrow, September 8th, wear your favorite sports gear day! This Manager is gearing up for October baseball and the NFL regular season and will be sporting her Nats or 'Skins gear, but feel free to wear any sports team - professional, college, local schools - it's up to you! Stop by the Manager's table in your gear to be entered for our next raffle - a $10 Market gift card!!!

6 Outfits to Wear to the Farmer's Market (AOL) - Link

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

So If  when you go pumpkin picking are you wearing your Denim and CO, and Quacker Factory clothes?  Seems fitting!