Occasional Contributor

What happened to the pricing at QVC?

On Saturday in A.M.Style, there was a handbag and a sweater for over $200.  Seriously, I can no longer afford these prices, and I'm choosing to go the mall with coupons for Macy's to buy basic pima cotton shirts.  Denim and Company was reasonably priced at one time, but now even their shirts can be over $40.  I understand that QVC wants to bring in a younger purchaser with more "buying power."  However, there are other customers who have been loyal to this company for many years who can no longer afford their prices.  I know that many items are affordable, but most are lacking stying.  Times change...

Honored Contributor

Re: What happened to the pricing at QVC?

Like department stores, QVC stocks merchandise in various price ranges.  Not all merchandise is suited for all. customers.  Shop for what you like and can afford.

Since much clothing, like Denim & Co.is made in China, it is affected by the tariffs on goods from that country.  It seems to amount to $10. - $15 per item.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

QVC is no longer a place where you get a bargain, it's like every other higher end store. Actually, you end up paying more because of the shipping and handling, not to mention the returns.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Like department stores, QVC stocks merchandise in various price ranges.  Not all merchandise is suited for all. customers.  Shop for what you like and can afford.

Since much clothing, like Denim & Co.is made in China, it is affected by the tariffs on goods from that country.  It seems to amount to $10. - $15 per item.

@Kachina624 I was watching a presentation on an Honora necklace that was a primetime special.  The host brought up that due to tariffs starting on Sept. 1, the prices were going to go up.  The vendor, Joel?, said they used to get all their pearls from Japan, and now they are all sourced in China.  He sald there would be significant increases.  I was a bit shocked that the host brought it up at all.  But then again, she was trying to sell the necklace she had in hand by saying that customers should take advantage of what they have to offer now, before the tariffs are added on.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I love to shop and have noticed sticker shock as well. Easy pay makes it "easier" to afford the things I want, but might otherwise pass on because of price. Diligently watching items in my wish list for price reductions or clearance, is another way I save. Free shipping is sometimes icing on the cake for me😊.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Frequent Contributor

When QVC offers an item and says s&h is free,  you can be sure it is disguised in the total price.  

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 I was watching a presentation on an Honora necklace that was a primetime special.  The host brought up that due to tariffs starting on Sept. 1, the prices were going to go up.  The vendor, Joel?, said they used to get all their pearls from Japan, and now they are all sourced in China.  He sald there would be significant increases.  I was a bit shocked that the host brought it up at all.  But then again, she was trying to sell the necklace she had in hand by saying that customers should take advantage of what they have to offer now, before the tariffs are added on.

If I'm not mistaken Joel always got his pearls from China.  From the beginning, I remember he used to say they were more reasonable from China.  As far as I can remember he has never gone to Japan for them.

Honored Contributor

I can't think of any store where I like to shop in which all the prices are what I'm willing to pay.  There's almost no time that I am dressed completely from one retailer nor even in all items priced similarly.

Valued Contributor

I used to buy nothing but Denim & Co but their prices have gone so high from what they used to be. I still prefer their clothes because I have noticed my D&C things stay looking nice much longer than things I've gotten in department stores. My solution is that I just don't buy near as much. I'm pickier about what I choose now. It's not the perfect solution but for me, it's the only way. I can and have gone to buy t-shirts and such in the local stores but they tend to shrink or lose their shape and are not flattering after a short time, so I have come to realize that it's worth putting a little more money into a substantial item that will last longer. I am not one for trends so I just buy things that seem to never go out of style and that way I can't go wrong. But yes, I see a lot that I want on D&C (and a few other lines) but I just am not a person that can afford to buy much. It takes some major self-control, that is for sure!

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken Joel always got his pearls from China.  From the beginning, I remember he used to say they were more reasonable from China.  As far as I can remember he has never gone to Japan for them.

I am fairly sure I heard him correctly, that he got them from Japan at the very beginning.  Or maybe that's where the cultural pearl business started.  Either way, I have plenty of pearls as I got sucked into the hype a few years back and bought a lot.  I don't even wear them very often.  Someday, hopefully a long time from now, my Daughters in law and grand daughters are going to have a lot to choose from and I hope they wear and enjoy it all.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead