Honored Contributor

Re: What ever happened to elegance?

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@matty liz wrote:

Galin, I know what you mean.  You are right.  Why some people on this board feel the need to exagerate the meaning of what was intended is sad 

@matty liz , Sadly some never miss an opportunity to be smug and dismissive. 

@QVCkitty1  And it's often the same ones claiming to be so very caring, concerned and egalitarian... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

i can only imagine the outrage that would be posted if the hosts and guests were elegantly decked out during the current situation many are facing

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

i can only imagine the outrage that would be posted if the hosts and guests were elegantly decked out during the current situation many are facing

BINGO!!   People will complain no matter how the hosts' dress.

Esteemed Contributor

There is probably an appropriate middle ground between "elegantly dressed", whatever that may entail, and looking like a lazy slob, which has become the norm for a few.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think QVC or any shopping channel, are going to be stressing elegance, at this time.

They'd seem completely out of touch, with what's going on, in the world, right now.  

Shawn isn't on every night, but, if she's on more than your favorites, there are probably a number of reasons. I assume, one of them, might be, that she's a veteran host, and QVC is pleased with her performance. 

Trusted Contributor

I think maybe you mean formal.  I looked up evening dresses on QVC and didn't find any that seemed elegant as you wish.  I did find this figurine that they carry for brides.  Perhps that is about the only time you are truly elegant.

elegantly formal.jpg

Honored Contributor

If you are watching QVC @NurseGayle hoping to see elegance, I fear you won't find it on home shopping channels very often.

I think there are still some elegant people. They have good manners, dress appropriately for the occasion and look just as elegant in jeans and a button down white shirt as they do in a suit. Most of elegance has to do with appropriate clothing for the occasion and behavior. That means not being over-dressed as well, where you might make others uncomfortable.

Trusted Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Maybe "elegance" isn't the correct word.  I've noticed flipping from HSN to QVC to JTV, the QVC hosts are the most sloppy and tacky.  Kind of a turn-off for me.   People can wear casual clothes, but still be tasteful and well-dressed.   At least, the hosts could comb their hair.

I certainly don't expect evening gowns these days, but it was a nice touch on some of the old QVC jewelry shows.

-     ---      
I have never seen a host on QVC, or any shopping channel, that looked sloppy, or had uncombed hair.

The fact that some viewers might not like their style, doesn't translate, to sloppy and uncombed, IMO.

Sure, it might be a fun diversion, to bring back the old Elegance of 18k Gold shows.  The hosts might love

the chance to wear great clothes and beautiful jewelry. 

I just don't think, there'd be a whole lot of sales, and, darn it, that's probably, what QVC, would focus on 🥴

Occasional Contributor

Thanks matyliz. I didn't mean ball gowns. Simple elegance and yes I know about people dying. I am a Registered Nurse. We already know civility is lacking in our society so no need to show it here. Peace.

Contributor

Kathy Levine was, IMO, the perfect host.  She offered grace, elegance and style......ALWAYS!  She was able to mix it up with being professional, yet adding a wonderful sense of humor.  She was articulate, left the guests speak, and provided viewers a wondeful shopping experience.  Now, hosts come on set unprepared, fingernails in need of a manicure, messy hair, made-up words and phrases that make no sense, and clothes that don't fit.