Valued Contributor

Re: What do you want to see in a new host?

[ Edited ]

I watched a pro this morning presenting with Linea: Mary Beth Rowe. Always polished, well prepared, and unassuming. She did not put lip gloss on over and over during her presentation, she did not take her shoes off and jump on the couch, she did not feel the need to change into every single piece of clothing presented, and she did not scream out  in a voice that would wake the dead! Please give “Mary-Beth-Rowe” classes to the new crop of hosts. 

Honored Contributor

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

I watched a pro this morning presenting with Linea: Mary Beth Rowe. Always polished, well prepared, and unassuming. She did not put lip gloss on over and over during her presentation, she did not take her shoes off and jump on the couch, she did not feel the need to change into every single piece of clothing presented, and she did not scream out  in a voice that would wake the dead! Please give “Mary-Beth-Rowe” classes to the new crop of hosts. 

@Jeanne from VA  

Mary Beth Roe does train all the new hosts. 

Something tells me, "when in doubt, just SMILE" may be taken too literally from their training manual.

Valued Contributor

If Mary Beth Rowe does train the new hosts, I wonder why their approach to sales seems to be so different from hers? Several of the recent shows I have seen, hosted by more recent hires, have a free-for-all vibe. 

Valued Contributor

Stop saying I Love You to each other and to every vendor. That's just strange.

Honored Contributor

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

If Mary Beth Rowe does train the new hosts, I wonder why their approach to sales seems to be so different from hers? Several of the recent shows I have seen, hosted by more recent hires, have a free-for-all vibe. 

@Jeanne from VA   It has been confirmed, by Mary Beth on her past FB page, that she gives most of the official training.

But, and it's a huge but, the new hosts also get a QVC Host Mentor.  That mentor is there to hand-hold them and give their own impression on hosting duties.  According to hosts' social media pages, several newbies have had Kerstin as a mentor, some others have had Mary DeAngelis, and so on.

So new hosts may come out of the official training process knowing the full responsibilities of the hosting job.  But it appears they get a lot more influence (whether they take it or leave it) from their assigned mentor. 

Imagine being new in a demanding job, and have a seasoned person take you under their wing.  You are grateful, and want to be just like them so you too can be here for 10 years or more.  It would be very hard at first to be able to distinguish what you should emulate, versus what you should respectfully ignore.  

The more mature (and I don't mean just in years), confident hosts make that distinction earlier than later.

Valued Contributor

I would like to see a youngish African American male host. I’m thinking of someone like Michael Strahan. Also, I know that the norm is to hire young hosts to groom them for years of service, but just because they’re young doesn’t mean they’re going to stick around forever. I think someone like Sharon Hanby-Robbie would make a great host. She is pleasant, warm and articulate. In general, it would be nice to see diversity in both race and age.