Respected Contributor

WHY THE HOSTS SAY,"WHAT DID YOU PICK UP...?"

I wonder why the hosts always say,"so what did you pick up today?"

After all, you're not getting the item for free.

Why not say, "What did you buy?"

After all that's the reason for QVC in the first place.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHY THE HOSTS SAY,"WHAT DID YOU PICK UP...?"

You suggestion of using correct grammar is much better to my ears! Thanks for writing. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

It's a common phrase.  People often say they need to stop by the store to pick up a few things or say I picked up some really great tees, etc.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree.  It's a cheesy way of asking callers what they bought.  In fact, they haven't "picked up" anything: nothing will be in their hands for another week or so - however long shipping takes.  I think the expression is meant to convey value and convenience - like "picking up" groceries at the neighborhood store.

Trusted Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

I wonder why the hosts always say,"so what did you pick up today?"

After all, you're not getting the item for free.

Why not say, "What did you buy?"

After all that's the reason for QVC in the first place.

They probably say it on purpose instead of reminding all the viewers that this is costing them money.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush    I think they say 'what did you pick up' instead of 'what did you buy' because it's all part of the 'selling mind game'.   If they say ''what did you buy'', it suggests/reminds the viewers that  they have ''spent money '' !!   Instead, if they say ''what did you pick up'', it doesn't suggest to the buyer as much that they pulled $ out of their pocketbooks.  Just a true selling tactic, one that they are taught, I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

For the same reason that we say  "if you go to the store, pick me up a gallon of milk".  Obviously, we don't mean steal that gallon of milk.  The hosts are not making scholarly presentations or dissertations.  They are just sales presentations.  

Honored Contributor

Very trivial, what does it matter?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

The other phrase commonly used is, “ we are giving you”. They aren’t giving you anything.

Trusted Contributor

They choose their words very carefully as it's all part of the art of the sale.  I love when they say something to the effect that the viewer/customer should buy one clothing item in basic black and then get another in a bright color.  Or buy shoes in every color (like JRT).  LOL.  OR the BEST now is to buy pants in TWO lengths - petite and regular - so the length will be right depending on the height of the shoe you choose to wear.