Super Contributor

Update on ‘host shopping’

I know this post was a couple of weeks ago, but it appears as if the host involved did ‘get the message’!  Last night she tried to do this again, but ‘suddenly remembered’ the comments.  She talked about buying too much recently and was trying to hold off.  Today Carolyn, who buys everything in multiples, did the same.  She used her husbanf by saying he commented on all of packages at the door, ehen she had said ‘she wasnt going to shop anymore’!

These responses make me think they are totally insincere and we the customers are being led up the garden path!  QVC is employing tougher sales tactics for the hosts maybe, and they will do whatever it takes to make their target sales. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Update on ‘host shopping’

I don't believe them half of the time.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I am not sure if you are saying you want the hosts to shop or not.  Doesn't matter to me either way.  I buy what I like, the host doesn't sway me into buying.

Honored Contributor

Carolyn really does wear QVC clothes on the air most of the time (I recognize them).

But the other person does drive me crazy with ordering constantly on the air.  I think I know what the OP is talking about.  Two evenings in a row it was crazy and one evening she kept commenting that she'd spent way way too much money ordering things.

She said at the time she'd gotten rid of all of her towels and/or sheets and just bought all new one's.  Then when it came on about clothes she kept talking to someone and saying I want this and that in size (whatever it was).

The person selling the item said, "How can he buy that for you"?  The host said, "He has my credit card numbers". 

I can't remember a lot and mix stuff up that that sticks in my brain...go figure..

Honored Contributor

What does it matter if the host buys something or not?  I don't know why it would. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AJWwrote:

I know this post was a couple of weeks ago, but it appears as if the host involved did ‘get the message’!  Last night she tried to do this again, but ‘suddenly remembered’ the comments.  She talked about buying too much recently and was trying to hold off.  Today Carolyn, who buys everything in multiples, did the same.  She used her husbanf by saying he commented on all of packages at the door, ehen she had said ‘she wasnt going to shop anymore’!

These responses make me think they are totally insincere and we the customers are being led up the garden path!  QVC is employing tougher sales tactics for the hosts maybe, and they will do whatever it takes to make their target sales. 

Unquestionably. That is their job. Their primary goal is to get you to spend money.  Their secondary goal is to get you to keep watching until you spend more money. I'm always stunned when people seem surprised that the hosts are trying as hard as they can to get your money.

Honored Contributor

I don't care what the hosts buy or say they buy, because I don't believe them. That being said one of the hosts actually interrupted an OAP in the middle of their explanation to order another product. This particular host is often rude to guests, and sometimes just walks away from them, totally disinterested. Before this is dismissed as being unkind, who is really the unkind one. Just saying.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

It is a sales ploy in  many cases.  They want to be "just like us," and therefore they want us to know that the product is worth buying.  

I have been a customer for a long time.  I used to hear or read that the hosts were not allowed to buy since WE CAME FIRST.  Apparently that did not last long or it was not true.

Also I remember something about hosts being given products outright.  How else could the LEARN TO LOVE THEM AND THEN PROMOTE THEM.  I am sure this might be true... one of the benefits of being on air for QVC.

Honored Contributor

I buy what I want to buy however things must of changed because the hosts weren’t allowed to shop while on air. Or at least that’s what I think I remember.

Honored Contributor

I don't care what they purchase, I find in irritating WHEN then purchase....they should not be able to order while they are working...it may be just a ploy but it is very unprofessional.

Last night the host wanted two of the tencil denim shirts, she commented about how expensive they were but wanted both colors along with a pair of sandals....it was over the top.  I do not fall for the sales pitch, doubt many other people do either.