Honored Contributor

Re: Update on ‘host shopping’

@febe1

We will just have to agree that we TOTALLY disagree!  LOL

Respected Contributor

I think it's a pathetic, desperate sales tactic.  A lot of times I notice they do that to push certain colors, etc that don't seem to be selling as fast as others.  What the hosts say they like or want does not influence me to buy.   Lol, if anything it has the opposite effect.  

Honored Contributor

@RespectLifewrote:

@febe1wrote:

@RespectLifewrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1wrote:

Does this thread mean that hosts pretend to want to order as a sales ploy or do they sincerely want to order items and know they are in danger of selling out.  I don't understand.

@Sweet Caroline 1  I can't understand why it would matter either way.  It isn't like they are going to buy 700 of something and you won't get one; it's not like they have something so fascinating to say you are going to miss great details; or who cares what they are doing on"work time?"  

I just don't know why it bugs anyone. 

I totally agree @Sooner

@Catch71

I NEVER said people don't have a right to their opinions.  I never said they can't post about it.  I think the OP did a very good job at stating her concerns, while others took the opportunity to host bash.

I, with Sooner, just don't get why something so trivial in life bugs people!

If you were in a B&M store making a purchase and the sales clerk put aside your transaction b/c she wished to order some things for herself, wouldn't you feel you were treated poorly? It's rude!

@febe1

Apples to oranges.

No host yakking is preventing anyone from making their own purchase.  Whatever they are blathering about does not delay your checking out one iota.  THEY do not service you....you place your order otherwise.

The hosts have to babble through a specific time period on an item.  The have to fill the air waves with something.

It is a sales gimmick.  A ploy.  An enticement.  Selling on TV involves drama, excitement...blah blah!  Anything to get you to purchase.

I do not see it as rude.  It's all a game and I accept it as that and don't fret over it.

If I were in a brick and mortar store and she said "Oh I'm going to get one of those!" I wouldn't think a thing about it unless she took the last one out of my hands, which is never the case at QVC.  Why shouldn't they have one too?

BUT the point is those that get upset over a host saying that will pay more attention to the set and that is EXACTLY one of the oldest selling tactics.  Remember the "Don't care what they say as long as they get my name right?" and the ads made to irritate?  

So this is an effective double barrel selling tactic--snaging those who like it and those who don't. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The fact is, it's annoying and unnecessary.   Anyone with half a brain cell knows that the hosts see and know about items in their show beforehand and have the opportunity to purchase AT ANY TIME.   I don't want my time wasted with stupid childish ANTICS.     THE END. 

Respected Contributor

Host shopping doesn’t persuade me to buy. It hasn’t bothered me either until the incident referred to in these posts. It was the host completely blocking out the viewers and vendor to carry on an angst-filled conversation with her producer that made me feel like I was eavesdropping. Uncomfortable feeling.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind. I believe some of the hosts really do wear the clothes/use the products, and I think by this time I know which ones are sincere and which ones are trying to persuade me to buy something. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I have no doubt she really was shopping.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnieluwrote:

It is a sales ploy in  many cases.  They want to be "just like us," and therefore they want us to know that the product is worth buying.  

I have been a customer for a long time.  I used to hear or read that the hosts were not allowed to buy since WE CAME FIRST.  Apparently that did not last long or it was not true.

Also I remember something about hosts being given products outright.  How else could the LEARN TO LOVE THEM AND THEN PROMOTE THEM.  I am sure this might be true... one of the benefits of being on air for QVC.

I've heard some hosts say recently they are not supposed to buy on air and have to buy before and after. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogswrote:

I don't care what they purchase, I find in irritating WHEN then purchase....they should not be able to order while they are working...it may be just a ploy but it is very unprofessional.

Last night the host wanted two of the tencil denim shirts, she commented about how expensive they were but wanted both colors along with a pair of sandals....it was over the top.  I do not fall for the sales pitch, doubt many other people do either.

It's not just a quick buy like "hey, Suzie, order me one in a XXXXXXXXXXXS. This particular host talks about which color she should get, and how she loves them all. Which color does the vendor think is best for her. Is this too tight or should she go smaller. It becomes an annoying, time consuming, stupid sales ploy. 

Valued Contributor

I do not care if the host has 15 of the item ,all i want is a clear discushion on the product.I am not watching to learn about the host and their preferences,I want INFORMATION, not chit chat,so I can make a decision about whether to purchase that product!