Honored Contributor

USE OF TERM “UNDER” IN PRICING

I laugh every time I see products advertised "UNDER $100 or 50..whatever amount"......sales pitch, marketing...gets your attention but it is a joke!  Insult to our intelligence.  It is usually UNDER by 2-10 CENTS....BIG DEAL!  Hosts sound ridiculous saying it as well.  I would like QVC to stop this tactic....just give us the price....we'll decide if it is a good deal.  Today's TSV....."UNDER $100"....WOW...$99.98!  Buyer Beware!

Trusted Contributor

Re: USE OF TERM “UNDER” IN PRICING

I know there are days these little things get to me a little more than other days. When this is the case I watch less of the shopping channels. I have been watching QVC since 1986 and they have always done this. I kind of just chuckle, I don't let it get under my skin. It won't change.

In all fairness to QVC, all retailers do this. How many times do you see a rack of sale items all under $10 but everything is really $9.99. 

It's a sales tactic that must work since every retailer does it and has for many years. We know the item is basically $100. I truly do not see any poster on this forum that will actually buy an item because they state it's under a specific number.  

Honored Contributor

It does sound ridiculous even funny when it's one cent under the total price or 2.

Still I'd rather hear that than the constant repeating of the easy pay price and never mentioning the total price as another thread pointed out.

All the hosts do it so I'm sure they are told to say that instead of the total which is often so overpriced no matter how many times they say that it would be thousands of dollars more in the Hamptons lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

This sales tactic is industry wide and to be honest it doesn't even register with me. I pay no attention.

Esteemed Contributor

@walker I agree with you. Pricing something at XXX.98 doesn't make it that much of a bargain in my opinion. And it does make the sound silly. 

I look at the price and since I round u plus add the shipping, well, hope it is NOT under XXX.

That sort of thing doesn't make me buy an item. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it's like if it was $100.00 there's no way I'm buying. But since it's $99.98 I'm jumping on that deal! 🙄🙄🙄

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good input here.....for the record, I do understand what you are saying....that's the way it goes in sales.  I've watched (less in recent years) and shopped for many years as well.  It doesn't get under my skin...I just laugh because it never changes. I guess it is for new customers.  In view of the fact that Q is asking for input to make changes, I'd like to see this eliminated...take it off "once in awhile".   I'd rather see TSV...$100 and 5 Easy Pays...or Price Today Only...$62.50...Tomorrow $70.00.  To each his own.....my shopping habits have changed anyway...just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I remember way back when I was scandalized when a host on HSN used the easy pay number as the price.  I refused to watch her for months.  Well, now everyone on every network is doing it and I'm just used to it.  

Respected Contributor

I pay no attention to that.  That tactic is widely used throughout marketing for everything not just clothes.  

Honored Contributor

Lisa Robertson way back was the first host I ever heard say

'And Change'

Yes, .99 of them!   LOL