Respected Contributor

UPS does no deliver perishable food on time, as originally scheduled!

Neighbor complained to hubby this morning as he was loading up his van to drive across state, for a prolonged  holiday trip visiting his relations.

He got a UPS perishable food delivery one day later than it was scheduled to be delivered, so he lost one day waiting in vain, but the next day when the item was delivered it was ruined and very hot with no dry ice left at all in tha package.

One would think UPS uses good judgement and delivers foods stated as perishable items first on the day they were supposed to be originally delivered, so there is some dry ice still intact, and the food is still really frozen hard.

My neighbor had to trash the food item, and now swears during any holiday time frame he will not order any perishable food ever again via the Internet, or by phone.

He is off for the holidays and wanted to take his food item with him to relations. He is not a QVC Member, but what happend to him can happen to anyone, no matter who you order from that use various shipping carriers.

Evidently did not work out at all, thanks to UPS making a "stupidity judgement call" to remove it from the UPS truck it was oriiginally on, keep it inrefrigerated overnight, and then make a late day delivery after 6:00 pm the next evening.

Of course the food arrived soft and hot, so it had to be trashed.

Lesson learned........Do not order any perishable food by Internet or telephone during the holiday season, because one never knows when UPS or another shipping carrier will do the same thing and make their "stupidity judgement calls".......... ensuring perishable food arrives only to be unhealthy to eat and so it is trashed.  

Honored Contributor

Re: UPS does no deliver perishable food on time, as originally scheduled!

Hard to imagine food would arrive "hot"  this time of year.   The UPS trucks are open;  when I get a package like clothing,  the item feels very cold.   I often keep food in tins in my unheated garage to keep it fresh.   Methinks your neighbor was exaggerating. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I'm confused OP. Why did you post this? and why did you mention he was not a QVC member?

it's wintertime. Most of the country is not hot or warm. People are ordering food fo the holidays all the time. If it gets delivered late and is ruined, take it up with the carrier. I think most people would know to do that.

Honored Contributor

UPS treats food items like any other box.  It is crazy expensive to ship a temperature controlled package.  I've done it before at work.  I think it's rare packages arrive thawed or businesses wouldn't be in business with the returns/credits.  Your neighbor should checkout the companies return policy before ordering.  I learned that lesson long ago with an item that was expensive to me that was nonrefundable.

Esteemed Contributor

A relative of mine in Arizona just got their Maine Lobstergram delivery. Shipped Tues (12/06), arrived on their doorstep outside of Phoenix just a few moments ago.  I order these through QVC every Christmas with no problem.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think this UPS's fault.  They are not in control of the weather(although it has been pretty cool around the country these days) nor are they responsible for packing the food in dry ice, that would be responsibility of the vendor to ensure there is enough dry ice to keep the foods from going bad.  UPS is just responsible for moving the package.

Honored Contributor

"stupidity judgement calls" lol. Sorry, that phrase used not once, but twice, just cracked me up. Sounds to me like your neighbor left the pkg out too long, now wants someone else to blame.
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

I find some of the details of the OP's story hard to believe.  While I believe this is the informaation she was given, I think the neighbor may havve left out some key details.

First off, I mail order food on a regular basis from NY, Chicago, LA, and South Carolina.   This is in addition to the occasional item from QVC.

QVC ships all of its frozen itesm two-day.  It would be delivered and not held until the next day.  Many other places suggest next-day or two-day shipping but will, in some cases, ship ground during the winter, to nearby states, or at the request of the ustomer.  In the cases of ground shipping, most places discourage it ane warn the ustomer up front that they will not be responsible if someone chooses ground shipping.

While none of us -- including the OP -- have all the details here, I think it is silly to warn people against ordering perishable foods when many people do it all the time without incident,  In this case, why would the neighbor not just have the company replace the item and ship it to the relative's home?  Did he have it shipped ground against advice?  Where is he shipping that it is hot in December?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i have received perishable items with no dry ice left in the box.......and the items are still frozen. have never had a problem like this in regards to food deliveries.

good thing about qvc. they have a 100% money back guarantee......and you dont have to return the food.

he probably should have had the item sent to wherever he was planning on taking it. it would have made more sense to have it shipped directly there.

....edited to add......didnt realize he DIDNT purchase this from qvc (since you said he isnt a qvc customer). hopefully whereever he purchased it from has a money back guarantee.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

QVC takes orders, they do not warehouse any perishable food items.  Items are shipped from the supplier direct to the customer, that is why there is normally a delay in shipping, orders are gathered and forwarded to the company for which it ships from.

To the OP, I believe you were misinformed and there are tracking numbers associated with any shipment.