Respected Contributor

Re: UPS Delivery Switches to USPS

My USPS is very reliable and I actually prefer them to UPS.  I don't mind the switch because I have a better idea when packages will arrive.  USPS items are delivered with the regular mail - a time I can count on.

UPS My Choice, gives me a three hour window, which often changes. I must be on the end of the route because my UPS deliveries are usually during the last time of the window. And often later.

Frequent Contributor

@Review 2 wrote:

I have UPS My Choice.  For every package shipped by UPS Surepost delivery, I go to the UPS website and upgrade the delivery from Surepost to UPS Ground.  I have to upgrade each delivery through UPS - it does not happen automatically.  These packages are delivered by UPS and are not transferred to the Post Office for delivery.  Hope this helps.

There is a setting within My Choice to automatically upgrade all UPS shipments.  I used to go in and upgrade ea one, then I discovered the setting for the auto-upgrade.  Each shipment is upgrade, but still have orders transferred to USPS.

I guess I will have to contact UPS to see why my orders are being transferred over to USPS, especially when I pay for My Choice service.

Frequent Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

JenInVegas .... If you have the My Choice Delivery with UPS they should be upgrading your delivery for UPS delivery instead of USPS. I had this happen twice and contacted UPS for an explanation and it was a "computer glitch". My suggestion would be to call the UPS Prime number. 

Thank you and will do!

Frequent Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

@Shiloh09  UPS my choice charges an additional $3.50 to deliver surepost packages directly instead of dropping them off at a postal hub. Sometimes it's worth it but usually not.

I pay for an annual subscription of $35 for all UPS deliveries to be upgraded.  In addition, you can adjust delivery dates for free and put hold on deliveries while away traveling.  For me it is worth the annual membership to receiving tracking information and delivery confirmation via text.  

Frequent Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

Review 2 ..... You can get the upgrade set up automatically but you have to give them a credit card. 

No credit card if you have an annual membership.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

I thought they used surepost? That is a hot mess. I will not be ordering anything from QVC until they clear up there shipping problems. And this holiday season it will be terrible.. what a nightmare.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

The UPS Mail Innovations is a nightmare. They lost one of my QVC deliveries in between transferring between UPS and the Post Office. To be fair, QVC refunded me as soon as I called. Today I get a confirmation of delivery email from another vendor using UPS Mail innovations - and I never received the package. I never thought I would say this but Amazon is the most reliable outside of going to B&M stores. In trying to save money by funneling packages to the post office they have added greater chances of items getting lost. Even with all the tracking items are still lost.  I am just so frustrated with the whole process. 

Frequent Contributor

Spoiler
UPS JUST CUT OUT ALL OVERTIME FOR THEIR PORTERS WHO CLEAN THE BUILDINGS. MAYBE DRIVER OVERTIME WILL BE NEXT.
Trusted Contributor

@nightnurse, wow, that's not good!! First, the employees who probably make the least money to start with lose their overtime. Second, UPS buildings, which we can assume employ many, many people, will not be cleaned properly resulting in unsanitary working conditions for employees and deliveries being housed in buildings that may be sub-clean before they are sent out to shoppers!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The reason is pretty simple.  Q uses the cheapest shiipping method possible. UPS ground without delivery costs less than UPS with delivery.  It's cheaper for Q to have the change made to USPS for delivery than it is for UPS to deliver.   

One of the depts I managed during my career was incoming and outgoing mail for a Fortune 500 company.  As of 4 years ago, it cost the company I worked for $2.50 more per package (per their contracts with UPS and USPS) to have UPS deliver than to have USPS make the delivery.  Multiply that times thousands of packages per day/week and it's a lot of money.  I am glad that my employer was willing to pay the extra for UPS delivery so customers didn't have to wait.