Frequent Contributor

UPS Delivery Switches to USPS

Dear Moderator,

can you help me understand why so many orders are initially shipped via UPS, but when they reach Las Vegas, they are transferred to USPS for delivery?

I pay extra for My Choice delivery subscription with UPS, but very often the orders switch to USPS, which not only adds an additional 2-3 days to the delivery time frame, but multiple times my order has been lost.  My Choice subscription is supposed to provide delivery one day earlier, but all the benefits are lost of early delivery when my order is transferred to USPS.

Is there anything which can be done to avoid this from occurring?

Trusted Contributor

Re: UPS Delivery Switches to USPS

JenInVegas .... If you have the My Choice Delivery with UPS they should be upgrading your delivery for UPS delivery instead of USPS. I had this happen twice and contacted UPS for an explanation and it was a "computer glitch". My suggestion would be to call the UPS Prime number. 

Frequent Contributor

I have UPS My Choice.  For every package shipped by UPS Surepost delivery, I go to the UPS website and upgrade the delivery from Surepost to UPS Ground.  I have to upgrade each delivery through UPS - it does not happen automatically.  These packages are delivered by UPS and are not transferred to the Post Office for delivery.  Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

I guess the UPS option is more expensive?

Esteemed Contributor

I too find this very frustrating. I prefer UPS, but its always farmed out to the post office, thus, making it a much longer delivery time. It must be cheaper for them to ship items USPS. 

Valued Contributor

@Shiloh09  UPS my choice charges an additional $3.50 to deliver surepost packages directly instead of dropping them off at a postal hub. Sometimes it's worth it but usually not.

Honored Contributor

What a mess.  I ordered two Comfy's on separate orders, filled out exactly the same on the website.  One was sent to the post office, I have a PO box, one had the address changed and was sent to my home via UPS.  Usually it is the other way around, items that are supposed to come to the house end up at the PO box.  Gremlins in the system, I guess.  

Trusted Contributor

If you had to deal with my USPS you would find out it is worth the $3.50. Half the time my regular carrier is gone and there is a replacement. Then I am lucky to get my mail by 8 p.m. if it even gets to the proper address. No sense complaining since I get the same response when I do ..... "we are short handed". They hire someone and the person only last a day or two before quitting. 

Trusted Contributor

Review 2 ..... You can get the upgrade set up automatically but you have to give them a credit card. 

Respected Contributor

I hate that they do that also.  I do have My UPS Choice (or whatever the proper name is) and mine are automatically upgraded so I get to avoid the USPS hand-off nightmare. 

I need to mention for some who may not know this -- when my subscription to My UPS Choice automatically renewed, the auto upgrade did NOT kick in.  I was wondering why my things were back to the snail mail route.  I signed on to my UPS account and noticed that when the renewal was made, the box became unchecked.  Please go to your account (especially after a subscription renewal) and make sure that box that says to automatically upgrade each package is checked again.  I guess I only have to worry about it once a year. 

It's totally worth the money for UPS Choice now that they are trying to use USPS to finish out the deliveries.