Valued Contributor

I have to wonder if show hosts review the items they present prior to the show.  This morning during the Affinity show the host said a necklace that was in white or yellow gold was available in yellow gold or sterling!   Then she asked her co host if a ring was gold!!  Maybe keep these folks in the beauty or fashion shows and have the jewelry experts be the host.

Respected Contributor

In the olden days of QVC the host would have been let go.  Case in point: I remember a host who acted like she was never prepared describing the stone Iolite as low lite.  She was gone very quickly,  

Respected Contributor

I think the “gold” standard for both hosts and vendors has changed. And in my opinion, not for the better.

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

In the olden days of QVC the host would have been let go.  Case in point: I remember a host who acted like she was never prepared describing the stone Iolite as low lite.  She was gone very quickly,  

@GSPgirl  This struck me as so funny!! Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

Oh how I wish QVC would establish a viewer review board.  It could serve as a focus group to provide customer feedback for what works and what doesn't.  I would volunteer in a minute.  I too have noticed some hosts who know very little about the product and stumble their way through presentations or even worse, give out incorrect information.  I'd love for QVC to seek feedback about how presentations come across to the viewers at home.  I tried to watch several shows during the fashion weekend, but the crosstalk was too much and I had to turn it off.  The constant repetion of the same products ad nauseum is also a turn off.  How many times do we need to see the TSV in a single hour?  And finally the sing-song valley girl speech of a few of the newer hosts and a few vendors is very irritating.  Sue Clifton from Dooney has one of the best speaking voices on QVC.  A host she worked with on Saturday ended every statement with a question mark and it just grated on my nerves.  THEN Sue would speak and it was like a breath of fresh air.

Honored Contributor

A female host did not know what voile was and mispronouced it. Jeanne Bice told her on the air what she had done. Kinda funny.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Train hosts

[ Edited ]

No offense, but I don’t think the powers that be at QVC are the best at picking the most qualified individuals from the  show host applicants. I would think the first requirement would be an excellent grasp of the English language. I guess I’m wrong about that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would hope they would teach them to give ALL important info about the products, sizes, colors, measurements, etc.

and also teach the producers/directors on the other ends of those ear pieces to "control" the presentation and stick to the attention being on the product and less about the host

looking at themselves in the monitor....

Honored Contributor

I think the lack of training is at an all-time low.  That's really unfortunate because these hosts are receiving a lot of criticism for their on air performances.  Obviously manage no longer cares to have high-caliber hosts presenting their products. 

Honored Contributor

And if they are insisting on having the hosts model the clothes, why bother with the models?  The host should be concentrating on providing pertinent information to the potential consumers!   One host recently suggested that she needed a dressing room right on the stage so she could change into each item being presented!  What a waste of time, from a consumer point of view!