Respected Contributor

Re: They are not jeans, they are pants

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

I formed my opinion as a men's sportswear buyer many years ago.  So after reading these replies I thought "Perhaps things have changed."  I went to the Levi's and Lee websites.  They are still making jeans out of traditional denim with zippers etc. No "pants" were included.  One thing I found was new, Lee now owns Wrangler, DH's favorite jean.  .  

Respected Contributor

All opinions and definitions are very interesting to me.  I will always search for the most comfortable "jean" style I can find or they won't get worn at all.

Honored Contributor

I don't care what they call them. Definitions change/evolve all the time.  You can't do anything about it so let it go.

Valued Contributor

Foxxee wrote: "

I may be the only one agreeing with you and not at all popular.  Jeans are made from real denim, 100% cotton or with 2% spandex, not the faux denim they are selling on QVC.

Similar to faux leather used on clothing and shoes.  It might resemble leather, but it isn't the real thing.  

Real jeans don't have elastic waists, faux zippers and pockets.  No leggings, jeggings, or crops.  They do have belt loops around the waist. They sit at the waist, not below.   

Yes, the original Levi's of yesteryear are real jeans.  "

You're not the only one, I agree with you and the op.

"I never changed, I just learned."
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

A jean has a real zipper and flat felled seams going down the legs.  Like Levi's.  These pull on tight leg almost leggings are not jeans.  

@depglass I think you are spot on.  There are jeans, a fashion icon, and there are denim pants.  Not the same thing.  

If a real cowboy wouldn't wear them to the feed store, they aren't jeans. 

Honored Contributor

The skin tight pants, levis need to go!  They are not attractive on.  If you want skin tight stick with your leggings.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

The same thing has happened with the term "sweatshirt." A true sweatshirt is ma de of the fabric that's smooth on the outside and fleece on the inside. They are now calling anything of a similar style sweatshirts no matter what the fabric.   French terry is not a sweatshirt!  Drives me crazy.